Behringer X-Touch

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

BearBoy

Behringer X-Touch

Post by BearBoy »

Has anyone got one of these or had any experience with one (or anything similar)?

I was going through some old recordings on my Boss BR-1180CD the other day and found the whole interface so much easier and enjoyable to use than laptop/mouse. I spend all day working on a laptop and am not finding it very inspirational for recording and generally prefer using physical hardware.

I would be using it with Reaper.

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've never used one of those (to be honest it's the first time I've seen it). I too prefer to use an interface than use the mouse/touchpad. This looks like it has everything you'd need. Remember everything is midi mapped so if the faders/buttons/pots are decent quality you'll have nothing to worry about.

I'm quite surprised how expensive it is for a Behringer product.

I'd probably just use the Nanokontrol if I was in the market for an interface. It's a lot more streamlined, smaller and a lot cheaper.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Sorry Thomas, didn't notice you'd replied to this.

I'll take a look at the Nanokontrol. Certainly is a lot cheaper than the X-Touch.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I've been wanting to try these out. I've used a FaderPort and TouchOSC with REAPER and have been able to get them to generally control everything I need. TouchOSC was very useful to work the transport via an iPad Mini for when I was tracking my own drums alone - I didn't have to put a 16 count in on and then run to the drums and back etc.

I've become so accustomed to writing automation with my mouse but I would love to have a surface to actually write automation in real time.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

BearBoy wrote:Sorry Thomas, didn't notice you'd replied to this.

I'll take a look at the Nanokontrol. Certainly is a lot cheaper than the X-Touch.
The nanokontrol would not have motorized faders, so for recalling things, it might be a pain.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Sloan wrote:
BearBoy wrote:Sorry Thomas, didn't notice you'd replied to this.

The nanokontrol would not have motorized faders, so for recalling things, it might be a pain.
Yeah, the X-Touch definitely looks like a better option. It's just whether the additional features justify the extra cost. Still pondering.

They're apparently going to be releasing extender units soon so you can have 16 / 24 / 32 faders. I think 8 would probably suffice for most of my recordings but it would be good to have the option to extend in the future.