NGD: Squier Jarman signature Mus-guar 1st impressions +PICS!

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

ultratwin wrote:BTW, the online service from Kenny's was impeccable, with a certain Danny really giving me the quickest responses of any online retailer I've dealt with, pretty much all hours of the day.
I agree!!! I just bought one last week myself.

First I tried Thomann because international shipping to the US was cheaper, and it was a disaster. Their web site was wrong about stock being available, and it took a week of back and forth to confirm and cancel.

Then I ordered from Kenny's and had the opposite experience. I can't believe how great and responsive their customer service was to someone across the pond at an ungodly local hour.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Mine has sat pretty much unused after being less than enthused by it at a rehearsal. The trem and TOM combo is shit and doesn't work. It looks nice on my stand though.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

JordanD wrote:The trem and TOM combo is shit and doesn't work.
The TOMtrem is the best feature about my Jazzmaster, so I for one will be curious to see how it all works (As others have noted, Squier nuts aren't exactly crafted -n-hand-buffed wonders), but figure I can also throw on a Mustang bridge lying here around if needed. And half-degree neck shim. And probably a few other useless things :P
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Maybe it is just a setup thing, I've got other trem guitars that work fine but can't really be arsed tinkering with this at the moment.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

paul_ wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:Wait... this isn't being offered in the US?

Shit.
Stateside folk who've heard of The Cribs or Biffy Clyro outside of Squier sig guitar forum threads, show of hands?

*slowly and methodically eats own hand*
hahahahaha
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Noirie. wrote:I played a couple weeks ago. It was awesome. Felt exactly like a MIJ/CIJ Fender.
Can confirm. I met up with ultratwin in LA earlier this week and strummed the Jarman in the back of his car. Really loved the feel of the neck. Would consider buying if there were a US release.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

JordanD wrote:Mine has sat pretty much unused after being less than enthused by it at a rehearsal. The trem and TOM combo is shit and doesn't work. It looks nice on my stand though.
One of them cheap roller bridges could be in your future. I have the same issue with my jmjm, but haven't bothered my arse to do owt.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

singlepup wrote:
Noirie. wrote:I played a couple weeks ago. It was awesome. Felt exactly like a MIJ/CIJ Fender.
Can confirm. I met up with ultratwin in LA earlier this week and strummed the Jarman in the back of his car. Really loved the feel of the neck. Would consider buying if there were a US release.
Was gonna get one but they were sold out everywhere. Stuck down money on a Hagstrom H-III instead.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Alright, here we go...

Off the bat I'll agree that it's an overall design just different enough to be quite unique, and I really hope something like this gets the mass-produced treatment. As hinted, had a great time chatting with singlepup over bowls of pho, and was happy to bring dat Jarman along. True fact, I was born just 5 minutes from the very place in old town San Gabriel...
► Show Spoiler
All in all, mine kinda needs/needed work, though a little heavy manners seemed to knock some loose bits up back into shape. Some comments:

1. Screw-in trembar is a lovely thing, and although I don't mind Jag/Jazz reverb handles resting just fine on the input jack output jack and giving it a grab when needed, just enough tension while screwing it in is a nice plus, added to the fact that the handle sits higher (common on normal VM Jazzmasters I've played as well). However, mine came with a tremolo base(socket?) set so far off to the treble side that it scraped and caused the strings to stick. Some heavy wiggling a la Swervedriver took care of things alright after a few minutes of hearty abuse enough to not cause it to stick anymore, and since I've never disassembled a standard Fender-stamped ass'y to see if it's a matter of adjusting, I've just let it be for now and won't bother trying to do anything more. Dust galore, and I angled things just right to line up with the taegeukki on the ceiling of my old bedroom...with shaft still rubbing slightly against the hole :shock:

2. TOM saddles had some lateral play in them and would loudly creak when I bent notes. At first I thought it was the nut (as Pat mentioned it's another shoddy job, to be sure), but then found myself able to move the A and D saddles with my fingers and had to give things a twist. Seem to be fine now, and the TOM with proper radius (YAY +bazillion!) works just as well as the venerable 3TS Jazzmaster with zero string jumping and a world of sustain, even with very light original strings...so much so that I'll likely string it up with 10s and wouldn't dream of a shim or buzzstop at this rate.

3. Neck is absolutely wonderful. A wee bit more front to back than the Jag, also being a slightly rounder C than my CIJ Jazzmasters.

4. Haven't messed about with the actual tones thru a proper amp, but so far with the Roland Cube at the SoCal house it was very well balanced and dare I say "tastefully weak" (especially the humbucker, even as it nearly kissed the strings out of the box), which in my book isn't such a bad thing if the upper end timbre makes up for the lack of oomph and sends you into teh janglezonez, which the out of phase switching is already doing a surprisingly decent job. Still, the TV Jones Magnatron I still have should be a great bridge chimer for what I have in mind, and my brain is telling me that an SD Duckbucker should accordingly be a good compliment in the neck, if I go that way. Will see, it's sitting disassembled on the guestroom bed at the Seoul house now after a ride in my suitcase across the Pacific.
Last edited by ultratwin on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

KEWL
more being STOKED
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

sooooooooooooooooo niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

where did you find it again?
dots wrote:incesticide
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Ordered from the aforementioned Kenny's Music in Glasgow, about a month ago. There were four in stock at the time, and by the next week they were all gone.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Thomann and the other big EU shops seem to be all sold out as well, but I did find this one, albeit priced way above what I paid: LANK
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Wunjos on Denmark St told me they're not getting anymore until Feb 2017.
more being STOKED
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

been playing this thing all day (stayed home cuz i'm a bit sick) and MAN i LOVE this thing!!!
my name is Pat.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

For what it's worth, my Musuar just made its debut at CES 2017.... On the main riff, I used the Zoom G3's OC2 mod to do a single octave below, followed by a Rat-style dist. Double tracked nice and icky sounding with more icky double stops for fun, the client chose this track over two more traditional Samsung Hans Zimmeresque tracks I had prepared and synced to the video. Played bass direct and used the Waves CLA plugin for brickwall compression and heaps of grit. Layered the snare with artillery shots for more silly fun.

Comes out at 32:00.

[youtube][/youtube]

The Jarman is kinda buried in the mix with the Samsung Odyssey gaming laptop launch that comes out later (go to 1:19:35), which instead used Spectrasonics Omnisphere and Trillian to bring on the brootalz. No lie, the roar when the "dragon eye" comes on at 1:19:40 is actually a bobcat and alligator layered plus gobs of delay. It was the best I could do when staff talked of "finding a dragon to growl for us" ;)
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

That thing is very cool!