Vox Pops

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Vox Pops

Post by Doog »

Soooooo I keep thinking about buying a Vox, more likely a smallish tube combo than anything else, likely AC15C1 or AC10C1. Trying that AC10C1 out last month and spending too much time in 'DIRTY BRIT' mode on my amp sim app has got me breathin' hard.

Talk to me.

Bad experiences? Good ones? Hints, tips 'n' tricks?
George

Post by George »

i bought an ac15 head and think its great. changed the tubes (not completely necessary), cut the bright cap (necessary) and its good to go.

the heads also have built-in attenuators fwiw (1.5 or 1/6w) which is really helpful for home stuff. the combos are also still quite heavy as well and a head means you can play around with open or closed back cabs.

cons:

- kiss goodbye to those cleans at higher volumes (if it bothers you that much get the 30)
- onboard reverb is SHIT and replacing the tank does little to improve things (the problem is in the circuit of the amp itself). the 15 doesn't have an fx loop but the 30 does, if that matters. i have a reverb pedal driving the front end and it's great.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I guess cutting the bright cap reduces the top end, rather than adding to it? The AC10C1 I tried was definitely on the bright side, even with the treble rolled way back.

Sad to hear the 'verb on the 15 isn't great; that and the tremolo are the only things that are making me consider it against a AC10. The AC10's digital reverb was perfectly decent, I'm not really a purist (shocker, there).

It's gonna be a home and recording amp really, so not too worried about clean headroom- it's a Vox, where's the fun in that??

I can't believe they didn't put the attenuation in the AC15 combo, surely you're more likely to be using a combo in a home environment? The mind boggles.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

AC15C1 is one of the best amps I've ever had - loved mine to bits. Did the bright cap mod (easy), and replaced the reverb tank with a long spring, because I live for boing. Would heartily recommend. Would have another.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

What made you sell it off, Timmy?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

FWIW I have a Deluxe Reverb and still use pedal verb and trem....easier to manage with less wires and also more versatile and still sounds great if the amp itsslf is good. Basically I've never owned a Vox but wouldn't base my decision on the on board verb and trem. I did play around on an Ac10 reissue when they first came out, thought it was great.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Doog wrote:What made you sell it off, Timmy?
My HUNGER for a Princeton . Whisper it, but the Vox is LOADS better for the money.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

benecol wrote:I live for boing.
Don't we all...
XY
George

Post by George »

the trem on the ac15 is "okay", btw. not as spectacular as a thoroughbred fender, but decent.
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

A band mate of mine totes an AC15 as his main amp.

It sounds great at stage or rehearsal volume, where he runs the master wide open then just turns the gain up until it's just about off clean. It sounds kind of wimpy right down low, maybe the AC10 rectifies that issue, though and is more suited to lower volume.

I had a TB18 (one of the Fender-y kind of voiced ones) and it was really cool when I had it, had a fair few tech issues and that's why I ended up selling it.
markleton

Post by markleton »

I have the AC10 and AC15. I could type loads about each one but I like them both.

Ask anything specifically but bullet points:
  • Ac10 is loud as balls. Seriously goes from nothing to ouch quite quickly. I'm a considerate neighbour but fook it's loud.
  • Ac15c1 is big and heavy but hilariously better as a practice amp. 90% of my home noodling I fire up the big boy.
  • It's clean enough. I've played festivals and shit pubs/clubs and the Ac15 is plenty loud, channel and master volumes are around half way up and it's plenty.
  • Reverb is mental on the Ac10- its digital and huge sounding, not footswitchable.
  • Ac15 is fine for reverb and trem- i use the footswitch and it does me.
  • CBA with the bright cap- never had a problem with the '15 and dirt pedals, muffs sound like shit but they always do for me. A Rat is perfect or one of my fancy SmallSound/BigSound dirt boxes sound fabby. Oh and at "Man Volumes" it doesn't matter.
I don't do Brian May twiddles and the first twat that tells you to use a treble booster is a twat. The tone cut on the Ac15 is great- it really tames my massively bright Jazzmaster and I wind it right low for my Strat, keeps things versatile. [/list]
    Doog
    mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Awesome, thanks so much, guys.

The AC15 just seems to be that little bit more "special" than the AC10, gonna have to give them a spin side-by-side though.

Goodbye DSL50!
    Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I've played an AC15C1 next to an AC30C1, thinking that I'd get basically the same sounds, but I didn't :P The 15 is a good sounding amp, and great for smaller venues, or anywhere that your amp will be mic'ed, but it's less bright and chimey than the AC30 (which was the sound I was after). I suspect 15 with a blue in it, or similar chimey/efficient driver would fit the bill just fine, though. If the sound you're going for is a more middy sound, a 15 will do just fine.
    ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
    Donate to Ankhanu Press
    benecol
    Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

markleton wrote:
    I don't do Brian May twiddles and the first twat that tells you to use a treble booster is a twat.
    Well colour me twat then Markleton poster, because a treble booster (cleu: they don't actually boost your treble, n00b) into an AC15 is a thing of beauty only matched by a Rat.
    markleton

Post by markleton »

benecol wrote:
    markleton wrote:
    I don't do Brian May twiddles and the first twat that tells you to use a treble booster is a twat.
    Well colour me twat then Markleton poster, because a treble booster (cleu: they don't actually boost your treble, n00b) into an AC15 is a thing of beauty only matched by a Rat.
    Well maybe you're not a twat* but it seems to be the stock answer whenever Vox is mentioned. Probably by people that have never stroked a Vox.

But yes a Rat is pretty much perfect through a Vox. And because I'm not a n00b I'll have to try a treble booster now.

*You're not. You're my favourite imaginary internet person.
    benecol
    Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Well I LOVE YOU TOO.

Yer classic Rangemaster is actually quite a fuzzy germanium booster/OD, which cuts off a lot of the bass frequencies. And sounds great through a Vox.
    riotshield

Re: Vox Pops

Post by riotshield »

Doog wrote:Soooooo I keep thinking about buying a Vox, more likely a smallish tube combo than anything else, likely AC15C1 or AC10C1. Trying that AC10C1 out last month and spending too much time in 'DIRTY BRIT' mode on my amp sim app has got me breathin' hard.

Talk to me.

Bad experiences? Good ones? Hints, tips 'n' tricks?
    I have the AC15 handwired version (AC15H1TV). anyone remember this odd demo from 2008?

[youtube][/youtube]

Before I got it I played the AC15C1 for around 20 minutes and was almost convinced to get that, but when got out of the amp booth of the store, the store manager was playing the handwired that had just arrived. It took me literally 3 seconds to decide I'm going for the handwired instead. I cannot tell if its the circuitry or just the alnico blue that made this huge difference, but unless you can afford a secondhand handwired (heritage or new version) be sure to spend the extra money for the "blues" as it is really where vox is at.

Also, in terms of volume, the AC15 is loud as fuck. It's hardly possible to reach proper dirt volumes in a gig setting unless you are doing arenas.

I havent heard the AC10, but the 10" speaker of the AC4TV that I also had sounded a bit boxy, you would have to compare them to see if the 10 might be a better option for you.
    sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

The handwired version of AC15, from what I read on the internets, is a tad louder with better headroom than AC15C1. Despite the fact that the HW AC has Blue in it and should be quieter
    matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
    George

Post by George »

i bought a fancy pants keeley java boost, which is a germanium rangemaster clone with a few other tweaks. it's sensational.

the handwireds seem to have a certain mojo but id recommend you google and check threads regarding their servicing and repairs. apparently the solder is so thick and solid that it makes repairs nearly impossible as getting them up to heat means you can damage other parts. techs say to avoid. the alnico blue is actually more likely to be louder than a wharfdale because it is a more efficient speaker. wattage =/= loudness. so in theory you could buy an ac15c1x (pcb alnico blue version) and get the best of both worlds.

i opted for a head and loaded a blackstar cab with a celestion gold (50w alnico blue), which means i'm covered if i want a plexi or other higher wattage head later on.
    George

Post by George »

are you buying this bloody thing or what?