Wiring help for n00b?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

swimdeeper

Wiring help for n00b?

Post by swimdeeper »

Hi everyone, thanks for clicking.

I'm a longtime lurker and occasional shitposter but today I need your help.

I've been working on a sort of Bilinda-stang Ryan Jarman esque thing for about 2 years now. It started life as a harley benton mustang clone, but I didn't like the flat basic Olympic white paint with white pickgaurd so I decided to pimp it. I wanted it to be a glittery purple like the og JMJM with a more powerful bridge pickup and more expansive wiring than it was stock.

I need advice on wiring the thing up most of all since I'm done painting it.

I should preface by saying I'm a totally incompetent nit-wit, and all I have previously achieved with a soldering iron is minor burns.

Here is how I would ideally like to wire it:

Hook the humbucker up to the 3 way toggle so that the middle position is fully humbucker and the other two are either of the individual coils, but then run the output from this back to the switch above the pickup, and from there to the output.
Wire in the single back to its original switch so that I can turn off all pickups, have 1 vol and 1 tone.

I've been looking at schematics and none of them seem particularity useful for me because while they may be 70% the same as what I'm trying to do, they include components that I am not using such as a telecaster style 3-way switch or 2 humbucker, or no tone controls or....

Here are some questions that I have that I hope you will be able to help me with,

How would I go about wiring a single coil pickup with black and white wires to a 6 terminal on/off slider switch?
And how should I wire the humbucker (red,black,white,green,earth) to the 3 way toggle to obtain coil splitting?

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the pictures.

71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

fixd pics. All you need to do with your imgur links is put in "i." before imgur in the address and then ".jpg" after.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Seems to me the conventional thing to do is use the slide switch for selecting single coil/hum (by shorting out one coil) and the toggle for selecting bridge/both/neck. Can you give us a little more detail about how you want to use the switches?
Personal pronouns he/him
swimdeeper

Post by swimdeeper »

Thanks for replying.

I didn't really have a solid vision of how I wanted to use the switches exactly, I just wanted more switching options like a jag, but not exactly the same as a jag.

I decided to wire the humbucker to one of the switches to go between parallel and series using this schematic.

http://www.1728.org/humbuck8.gif

My next question is how do I wire the toggle switch up? I read that the + wires from each pickup go to the outermost lug and the lug at the back is the earth. What do I do with the other 2 and how do I connect this up to go through the vol/ton circuit?

Also, thanks for making my pictures work, and I'll remember how to do that myself in the future.
NickS

Post by NickS »

The +ves go to the outside lugs of the switch, -ves go to the metalwork of one of those pots. The lug at the back of the switch is the output, wire it to the hot side (left-hand lug in the picture) on the volume pot
Personal pronouns he/him