Vox AC15H1TV (edit)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Vox AC15H1TV (edit)

Post by Nick »

So I had some big old amps I've not been using lately...trading my Twin for a DRRI was a game changer for me so I thought I'd trade them in for a nice companion to it.

I originally went to look at an Orange Tiny Terror combo then found the Vox. Compared to the TT the vox felt a bit livelier and versatile overall even with the stock Wharfedale speaker that everyone seems to hate. It sounded especially good with filtertrons but then what doesn't...anyway at $400 it seemed a good deal.

Talked to my friend about it and come to realize he hates these with a passion. Bought one a couple years ago and changed the speaker, tubes, did some cap mods or something and still didn't like it. He thinks I should spend more $ and get the handwired ac15 they have instead.

I'm definitely going to try them side by side and while I have the cc1 on hold I'm sure I can change my mind. Definitely want a Vox, but does anyone else have a different opinion on this model? Even though I liked it in the store I'm worried I might have buyers remorse when I get it home.
Last edited by Nick on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

From memory, and recent research when I was looking for an AC15/10, I think the CC1 run was supposed to be quite patchy; reliablility issues as well as the sounds not quite being up to scratch.. seems like people speak far more favourably of the current C1 series.

I guess if you like the sound of it and it's got some kind of warranty, that's what really matters? Was it much cheaper than what you could pick up a C1 for?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

They don't have any used C1's in stock, a new one is $629. This CC1 is $400.

I may just trade something else for the difference although I've always seen brand new gear as a bad investment unless it's on sale. Even though the AC15HW is even more money, it's already been broken in and is a steep discount off the price of a new one at $800.

Whether I go CC1 or C1 I'm thinking of swapping in the the Celestion G12 V type in my DRRI because I want something a little darker and warmer in that amp anyway, and it also seems like it'd be a good fit for a Vox amp (so much they included it in a special run of red C1's.)
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Nick wrote:They don't have any used C1's in stock, a new one is $629. This CC1 is $400.

I may just trade something else for the difference although I've always seen brand new gear as a bad investment unless it's on sale. Even though the AC15HW is even more money, it's already been broken in and is a steep discount off the price of a new one at $800.

Whether I go CC1 or C1 I'm thinking of swapping in the the Celestion G12 V type in my DRRI because I want something a little darker and warmer in that amp anyway, and it also seems like it'd be a good fit for a Vox amp (so much they included it in a special run of red C1's.)
The main difference is that the C1 has two channels, normal and brilliant whereas the CC1 only has the brilliant channel. The stock speaker is also a wharfdale for the CC1 and a greenback for the C1.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

the greenback is worth it, but i couldn't speak to the handwiredness. having the two channels is also pretty swell.

this place has one you can get shipped for a little over five bills. i think i remember you had an issue ebay, tho...
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Going to go compare some amps in a few minutes...I'm in love with the IDEA of the HW, also would be a great excuse to trade in my Yamaha Combo Organ which while cool takes up a fuck ton of space and is not getting used as it could/should be. I'm more about casiotones lately anyway..

Of course it all comes down to which coupletones I like better.

Taking the Ovation and pedalboard with me. Wish me luck!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I was wrong...it's not an HW1 it's an H1TV
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Nick wrote:I was wrong...it's not an HW1 it's an H1TV
That is still handwired and it has the blue celestion, well worth it!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Looks ace!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The H1TV is now on layaway 8)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Waaaaeeeeeeeey
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Nick wrote:The H1TV is now on layaway 8)
awesome
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Guitar center has the C1 on sale today for $500. I couldn't try it though because there's too many shredders. Also already traded my amps for credit at a different store.

I should be able to pick up the h1tv on Tuesday unless I somehow sell the gear I'm trying to before then.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

It has arrived...tidied up the guitar corner of my practice space and hung my guitars.

I haven't had much time to spend with it but my first impressions are great. I like having the option to take it down to 7.5 watts for the early breakup, it's like having two amps in one.

Might try to do some mods to the DRRI to open up the clean headroom now, because the vox handles overdrive in a far more articulate way.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

You have some really tasteful gear Nick. An demo with Corvette through H1TV when you have time/wish for it?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Thanks, I can try to make a demo happen but will need to restring the corvette first...it's been out of commission because I wanted to put a chet atkins bigsby arm on it but ran into issues with the size difference between import and USA bigsby parts. I'll probably just return it to stock for now.
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

Great amp!
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Nick wrote:Thanks, I can try to make a demo happen but will need to restring the corvette first...it's been out of commission because I wanted to put a chet atkins bigsby arm on it but ran into issues with the size difference between import and USA bigsby parts. I'll probably just return it to stock for now.
It's interesting, those Corvette Reissues had bigsbys in stock and cost $300-$350 new. With todays price level for new guitar it seems very cheap
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Hmm? In the US the G5135 like mine sells for $650 brand new, I picked mine up used for just under $400.

They did make some simpler bolt on models at the under $300 price point.

It's a nice guitar, I really like the Mega'tron pickups, but it suffers from the generic "all necks feel the same" issue that plagues most import guitars (generic profile, 9.5 radius, medium jumbo, covered in thick poly).
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nice!