BOSS OS-2 vs OD-2 and ground loop issues

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Golden_Sonic

BOSS OS-2 vs OD-2 and ground loop issues

Post by Golden_Sonic »

Anyone tried these two OD? The OS2 was my first fx ever and I really liked it, the only problem was the awful background noise that was the reason I sold it. Now I'd like to take another BOSS OD just to change the sound with my Rat and Boss BD2 and I can't make up my mind between the OS2 and this discontinued OD2. The reason why I haven't bought the OS2 again is the ground loop issue that it caused. I was thinking: could this problem be simply solved modifing the value of some capacitors in the circuit? In this way, there would be a better filtering of the ground noise.
Anyway, I need to know your opinion on these two OD first of all. If there is anyone expert of pedal building and circuits in this forum, his/her advice to solve the ground issue is well accepted too.
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
NickS

Post by NickS »

As you say it was a ground loop issue, I'm guessing you had a shared power supply and the problem went away if you ran it on battery?
Personal pronouns he/him
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I have an OD-2, it's pretty cool. Even with the Turbo engaged, it's doesn't give a huge amount of distortion and the level is pretty low, you have to turn the level up pretty high to get the same volume as with the pedal off.

Stacks well with other dirt pedals.

Don't know what else to add.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts