More Synth based stuff

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

More Synth based stuff

Post by Thomas »

After a lot of messing around with my limited home studio space I've finally got my Synth desk somewhat organised. The things I use most (Moog, Push2, JP-08, JU-06 and Brutes) are ready just to play and my other module based synths are all useable but neatened away. Things like the Volcas and the Boutiques I'd like to build into some sort of housing or rack at some point in the future. The rack patch bay helps keep all the wires nice and tidy. I might ditch the extra screen from the monitor as I tend not to use it that often.
► Show Spoiler
The handy stand in the middle houses the laptop and keeps it all centralised. The MicroBrute is connected via Midi to the MiniBrute, Micro audio out to the audio in on the Mini with one set to high note priority and the other to low so that I actually get duophony. Plus it means I can use the sequencer (Micro) and the Arpeggiator (Mini). I was originally planning on using a eurorack extra oscillator into the MiniBrute but the Microbrute was even cheaper secondhand (plus you get all the extra sections and a sequencer). Modular is a deep hole that I'm not sure I really want to get into right now. I can dabble with it with this setup as the Moog, System-1 and Microbrute can all be fed into each other.
► Show Spoiler
There's a Casio Synth (XW-G1) that Pulls out from underneath the desk that I use as a controller for the Roland boutiques, Novation A-Station, Roland System-1 (With addittional Promars synth), Akai SG01V. I can also run the Korg MS2000 you can see in the background from it if i don't want to pull it out. This photo was taken when I was still messing around with the layout.
► Show Spoiler
The other desk usually houses my controller keyboard. It was the centre of my setup previously as it has transport controls etc on it but since using the push that has fallen out of use so it's currently put away and the Roland JX-3P (with programmer) has taken it's place. It's a lovely vintage polysynth. It isn't in the best cosmetic shape however everything actually works on it (now that I've fixed an issue it had with the keybed). I'd like to pick up a busted one at some point to use the chassis and front panel as a replacement. The one on this has chipped paint and dents. Totally perfect inside tho.
► Show Spoiler
In the future I'd like to pick up a few other things. The DrumBrute will be here at Xmas (fingers crossed) and I'd like to pick up a Juno if I can score one at an OK price and I have also been looking out for a couple of vintage monosynths, maybe a Jen as they're fantastic to mod. And a Seil Cruise, mainly because it's totally mental and the string side is lovely on it.

Recent departures have been the NI Maschine 2 (the push made it obsolete) and the Mode Machines x0xb0x (303). I traded the x0xb0x for the JX-2P. When I get the DrumBrute the Arturia Spark will most likely be next to go. Tho it is primarily a VST so the controller'll just get stuck in storage.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

FUCK, dude! Nice rig! My shit keeps geting set up and torn down. Hopefully before winter sets in I can make a semi-permanent setup in my control room.
I'm also jonesing for that drumbrute, fingers crossed fro XXXmas.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
lorez

Post by lorez »

Amazing looking set up, very envious. My setup is consistently needing to be taken down, I need to dedicate time to get a perminant spot in the house
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

What kind of rack system is the microbrute on, I'm on the lookout for a desktop synth stand thing...
XY
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Its one of those Dj controllers,designed for a laptop and Traktor controller/Push type thing. I had it set up so both things were on the same level before but tweaked it to make better use of space.

It's one of THESE.

You get them by that company Magma, Reloop and Stagg do a budget version tho they're all the same bloody thing, just rebranded boxes. You always see them on Gumtree for around £10. That's where I got both of mine.

I keep the setup so I can take a few pieces to practice/recording sessions without needing the laptop etc. The DrumBrute will be the last piece of that puzzle. At my friends studio I use a rack Drumstation. It's cool but you can't play/jam on it. My essentials fit into the one flight case. Tho I need new foam to adjust it to my current setup.
aen wrote:FUCK, dude! Nice rig! My shit keeps geting set up and torn down. Hopefully before winter sets in I can make a semi-permanent setup in my control room.
I'm also jonesing for that drumbrute, fingers crossed fro XXXmas.
This is the first time in a long time I've settled on a setup. It's been in a constant state of flux/chaos for ages. Now I'm happy with the way it all fits together and when I have people over 3 of us can actually fit in and make some unholy racket. Plus there's all the guitar gear too. And the good thing is ifI'm doing stuff myself everything is on hand and useable. Getting that right was the biggest headache.

I have a spot saved for the DrumBrute. Come on Synthta!! (Synth Santa)
lorez wrote:Amazing looking set up, very envious. My setup is consistently needing to be taken down, I need to dedicate time to get a perminant spot in the house
I'm lucky to have this room that's just used for music (and the Mrs's makeup space). She plays too so it's super lucky that we have that in common so it's never been an issue. In fact the only musical instrument spilled over to the living room is her guitar.

We are thinking of buying somewhere a little further out from the city because you get so much more for your money. A self build is also on the cards so it would be great to have a space specifically created for this stuff. I'd love to have a dedicated workshop space too. I could get into all sorts of trouble if I actually had space for some decent machinery.