Bright/dark switch?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

GreenCustom24

Bright/dark switch?

Post by GreenCustom24 »

I'm working on a project. The guitar only has a single humbucker in the bridge. I'm omitting the volume and tone controls as i never use the knobs... I thought about instead adding a 3 way switch (LP style) which could have different capacitors wired into it so one way would be a bright/treble circuit, the middle would be a bypass directly to the output, and the third would be a warm/dark circuit. Is this easy enough to do? Any suggestions on which caps to use? Anyone know if somewhere I could find a diagram? I'm a total wiring novice so I might just have someone do it for me anyway... Ha

Thanks guys!
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Sounds cool. I would wire up a tone pot adjust to taste, and then note the capacitance values you like to purchase caps accordingly. The direct to jack will probably be the brightest, so you might want to just wire up DIRECT / DARK / DARKER.
GreenCustom24

Post by GreenCustom24 »

Sweet. Thanks for the suggestion. I think the DIRECT/DARK/DARKER thing is a cool idea. It'll essentially act as a BRIDGE/MIDDLE/NECK type deal except not as drastic. Should be really cool for multi tracking...
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Love it! Give us some sound bites when it's completed?
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
GreenCustom24

Post by GreenCustom24 »

Most definitely. Probably get to it in the next few weeks. Work is gonna be insane starting the end of this week.

I'm doing it to my 60's Tribute SG. I took the neck pickup out (intending to wire in a different pickup, never got to it and decided I liked the look of it missing. Never use it anyway) with the Joe Barden mini humbucker. If I like the outcome I'll do it to the other projects I've got in mind.