where to put new octave pedal

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Lumpy Waters

where to put new octave pedal

Post by Lumpy Waters »

I recently picked up a TC Electronic Sub n' Up octave pedal, can't decide where I should put it. I'm using it with an old Gallien Krueger rackmount preamp and trying to ditch my compressor and dirt pedals and use the compressor and dirty channel of the preamp. In the effects loop, with some gain going on, the Sub n' Up gets a bit shrieky, but sounds great on the clean channel. Going guitar straight into Sub n Up, then into preamp, it sounds muddier with some gain and compression. I'm starting to think maybe I should dig up the compressor pedal and go compressor->octave->distortion, but then I'm back to the compressor pedal I was hoping to ditch. Anyway, I'm wondering what order seems to work best for most, octave->comp->dist, comp->dist->octave, or comp->octave->dist?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Before your distortion source is typical usage reeeeally, although Tom Morello uses his Whammy in his amp fx loop, there's obviously no 'rules' to this stuff.

To be honest, the Sub N Up is quite a dark sounding octaver (I've looked into it for some time to replace my Micro POG), and maintains a lot of low end in the lower octaver so I'm not sure how you're gonna make it sound less 'muddy' without just tweaking EQ settings a little bit? The Micro POG is definitely a bit brighter and squeakier, maybe that'd work better for you?

[youtube][/youtube]
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

i've moved them around and while it's always different, i can't tell where it sounds "better".. like doog said, work the eq to get rid of the mud
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

also, as i've always heard but only began applying lately, always begin by using the eq to subtract instead of adding..
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Doog wrote:Before your distortion source is typical usage reeeeally, although Tom Morello uses his Whammy in his amp fx loop, there's obviously no 'rules' to this stuff.

To be honest, the Sub N Up is quite a dark sounding octaver (I've looked into it for some time to replace my Micro POG), and maintains a lot of low end in the lower octaver so I'm not sure how you're gonna make it sound less 'muddy' without just tweaking EQ settings a little bit? The Micro POG is definitely a bit brighter and squeakier, maybe that'd work better for you?

[youtube][/youtube]
at 5:22 he starts playing the coda riff to CITY HALL!!!

yesssss!@!!!!!!

5:12 in

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

this ear of mine is a fucking curse for riffz identification
dots wrote:incesticide
George

Post by George »

my pitch shifter goes straight after my univibe before any buffers (so second in chain). it seems to blend best there with the least amount of noise as putting a buffered pedal before it adds too much high end when engaged. really its up to you, and its cool to experiment putting it between or after drive pedals for synthy tones

in your situation i would try comp>octave>dist if the comp is unbuffered, or octave>comp>dist if it is buffered. i haven't tried a comp and an octave together, but i imagine you'd want comp before octave if you're looking to control the wet/dry mix of the different octaves
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

actually i can't put mine in front of the phaser or reverb because they are all together..
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I like my octave pedal after my overdrives but before modulation. I think it gets too muddy before overdrive.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote:although Tom Morello uses his Whammy in his amp fx loop, there's obviously no 'rules' to this stuff.
Whaaa???

Massive fanboi but didn't know this. I put mine first, as it happens.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Bacchus wrote:
Doog wrote:although Tom Morello uses his Whammy in his amp fx loop, there's obviously no 'rules' to this stuff.
Whaaa???

Massive fanboi but didn't know this. I put mine first, as it happens.
Yeah man, all of his effects are in the loop, hence why his wah stuff sounds so extreme.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Might start experimenting with effects loop. I've never, ever put anything in the loop, always in front of the amp.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Bacchus wrote:Might start experimenting with effects loop. I've never, ever put anything in the loop, always in front of the amp.
oh you're missing out.. it's even more options.. i have some effects in the loop and some in front and sometimes i'll do stereo going to different amps .. the ehx sitar pedal blows my mind set up like this.. the drone strings only go out to one amp and everything else to another amp.. now i need an expression pedal because you can nail an even more realistic sitar sound with an expression pedal .. plus a shit load of sounds i've never heard before.. mind blown.. i put pedals that i can't place right in the chain in the loop