Daft question: Is it possible to have 2 master volume pots?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

George

Daft question: Is it possible to have 2 master volume pots?

Post by George »

Bear with me...

Both my strats have master volume and master tone, so I don't know what to do with the second tone pot (fuck an blend pot).

Let's say I liked using a linear taper pot for controlling drive levels through an overdriven tube amp. But then could I add an audio taper pot that comes off that, that would control whatever-level-the-volume-pot-is-at down to zero, so you could use it for volume swells?

Is that possible?

So on a Strat (using common names for pots):

Neck tone = master volume
Volume = volume pot off master volume
Middle tone = master tone

AND with '50s wiring?
HNB

Post by HNB »

Seems like it is doable. Just have the master volume output go to a second volume input, then out to master tone input and jack.
George

Post by George »

Nice. Will that change the "before" tone of the guitar in any way? Sorry, noob question.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Which volume pot the tone is tied to shouldn't really make a difference unless I am wrong. Since both volume pots are connected, changing the tone should impact them both. (I would connect the tone pot to what ever volume pot has input from the pickups I guess.)
NickS

Post by NickS »

It's possible, but there will be interaction that will depend on values. For example, when both pots are at max they will be in parallel. You may therefore want to replace them with higher values to prevent tone suckage. If they are both 500K you'll end up with 250K impedance across your pickup. That may affect how your tone pot operates too.