Squire Cyclone, conversion scale?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

Squire Cyclone, conversion scale?

Post by robert(original) »

I can't remember for sure, but the cyclones where a conversion scale werent they? i mean, they would fit on the body intended but could also be thrown onto a full scale 25.5 right? intonation could still be attained.
I was digging through and found a cyclone neck that i think i got off of cooter years and years ago. it was basically my paint stick for a while, but now i want to bring it back and throw it on an 80's squire strat body that i think i got off of DGNR8.
I think they are, but i also think im wrong.
Shaguar

Post by Shaguar »

I was drawing up some plans for the Cyclone the other day and noticed that the bridge to neck pocket distance was the same on both it and the Mustang. I could be wrong, but I think the conversion scale is up from 24, not down from 25.5.

No.
robert(original)

i couldn't remember which way it went.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Think logically: if you want to convert from 25.5" 21 frets, you have to go to 20 frets or less, not more.

On the other hand, most of the scale length difference is on the neck, so the remaining difference in comparison to a Mustang may be small enough that it won't matter at the bridge end when going between a Cyclone and Mustang. The gauge may also make a difference in such a case.

According to the Shortscale Technical Bible, Cyclone scale to strat is pretty far off from conversion (the most relevant chart is on the last page):

http://www.dropbox.com/s/nfbdwo38rzmmo5v/shortscales.pdf#

edit: I did check out the difference between Cyclone and Mustang, it does seem pretty large, almost 5 mm. Also "conversion scale" to strat comes out even worse: more than 6 mm. Maybe the long scale Jagstang necks were non-standard.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robert(original)

i mocked up the neck against an old strat body, altho it does match up to a 25.5 its a 22 fret and the intonation would be way off. I could have sworn that fender had a conversion scale, or squire did at some point. just couldn't remember if it was up or down.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

The old 1960s Mustang/Musicmaster necks (22.5 and 24") are a perfect match.

The difference between the 1990s Chinese and Mexican Duo-sonics (22.7". 20 fret) and the 24" Chinese Jagmasters is negligible, so they are pretty much interchangeable.

The Jagmasters could possibly get close to strat scale, and it probably doesn't make much difference if you don't play much above the 8th fret or so.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robert(original)

but there were 3 different scales for the jagmaster werent there? i thought the first run was shortscale, the second run was full scale and the most recent was like 24.75 or so. I could be wrong. its been so freaking long since i have really studied all of this stuff.