22.5 / 22.7" necks: Two (maybe three) questions

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

ziggyzipgun

22.5 / 22.7" necks: Two (maybe three) questions

Post by ziggyzipgun »

I saw the thread about the dimensions of the original gang-saw spacers. I understand that even if the same spacing was used to cut the fret slots, that doesn't mean the saw was positioned the same distance from the bottom end of the neck, so most things aren't interchangeable.

Has anyone determined how far you'd need to move the bridge on a Strat to fit a 22.5" Musicmaster / Duo-Sonic neck? Also, were they really 22.5" scale length, or were they the same as the 22.7" Duo-Sonics and Mini-Strats of the '90s?

Next question: is there anyone that actually makes custom necks? I mean custom width, custom scale length, custom fretboard extension to add a couple extra frets to a 22.5" Strat neck.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

It's a sticky, there's the dropbox .pdf in this thread, quit making a million threads on the same topic.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54426&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Sorry, but this is the second or third topic on this recently, besides the many other older ones.

I don't know about custom necks, but your chances are very slim.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
ziggyzipgun

Post by ziggyzipgun »

Yes, the many older threads that trailed off years ago without providing a definitive answer.

I've already found three sites that make custom scale length necks, so I'll go; I'd rather not contribute to your ad revenue.

Also, everyone needs to stop saying that shorter-scale lengths have lower string tension. You're using the wrong strings, and they probably don't sell the ones you need in a pre-packaged set.