Squier Bullet Mustang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

why are you trying to pry my 150 bucks out of me? :lol:
dollbridemask

Post by dollbridemask »

Hi! This is my first post after lurking for a long time.
I recently got one of these, slightly on a whim (first shortscale, first offset, first NEW new guitar I've bought since 1998 or something). I saw one in the guitar shop near my work and probably wouldn't have picked it up if I hadnt read this thread.
Yeah, these are really great for the price: the hardware is all decent, there are a couple of rough patches where the neck meets the headstock but nothing drastic. The pickups are pretty good for the price too, I would have left them on but I had always intended to change them for some P90 types which I have done today. I got some Irongear Alchemists, which I had to do a bit of filing of the pickguard to fit, but it sounds so great now, they suit it really well.
This is a really fun guitar to play. My inner teenager wants to put stickers on it and I really want to find a different coloured pickguard. I've got some tru-oil knocking about so I may see how flamey the neck can get. I'd probably change the saddles and the tuners at some point too...
NickS

Post by NickS »

I like the look of those pickups in that guitar...
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

That looks great! Nice job. These are a blast to mod.
dollbridemask

Post by dollbridemask »

Thanks. It was dead easy even for my clumsy fingers. I really dont think I would have picked it up if not for the praise and the cool mods done on here and I cant believe it only cost £115 plus £45 for the pups off ebay!
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Looks good. The single line of pole pieces somehow suits the design better. Looks less crunched together than humbuckers.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

dollbridemask wrote:Hi! This is my first post after lurking for a long time.
I recently got one of these, slightly on a whim (first shortscale, first offset, first NEW new guitar I've bought since 1998 or something). I saw one in the guitar shop near my work and probably wouldn't have picked it up if I hadnt read this thread.
Yeah, these are really great for the price: the hardware is all decent, there are a couple of rough patches where the neck meets the headstock but nothing drastic. The pickups are pretty good for the price too, I would have left them on but I had always intended to change them for some P90 types which I have done today. I got some Irongear Alchemists, which I had to do a bit of filing of the pickguard to fit, but it sounds so great now, they suit it really well.
This is a really fun guitar to play. My inner teenager wants to put stickers on it and I really want to find a different coloured pickguard. I've got some tru-oil knocking about so I may see how flamey the neck can get. I'd probably change the saddles and the tuners at some point too...
So I guess one would need to file the ends of the corners of the pickups holes for something like this, right?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

^^ yeah definitely. I don’t have any photos of my mustang currently to share but the pickup routes are rounded.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
theatomicdog

My experiences with the Squier Mustang Bullet HH

Post by theatomicdog »

Background: I got myself an ibanez mikro bass, which I ejoyed a lot after 15 years without playing any string instrument, so decided that I wanted a guitar, and that would be a short scale one. As I am a casual player, no band, no anything, wanted something cheap enough that would be justifiable to use a few times every month. Looked around and found three candidates: the ibanez mikro (with excellent reviews, the squier strato mini (mixed reviews) and the squier mustang bullet HH, which was kind of a new thing at the time. Price-wise they were more or less the same and was inclined for the ibanez, as they make pretty good quality instruments for the entry-level price, but found an offer in GuitarCenter for the mustang and took the change.

So, I got the Surf Green one at $129 exactly as http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Bul ... 0224340.gc

The price was difficult to beat, and it looked gorgeous. If you play your instrument only here and there, make it pretty, and you may play more often.

So, 6 months later, here is what I think:

1) $129 was really a good price. $179 as marked now, looks too much, the ibanez may be my option, hands down. Even more, the full scale ibanez gio GRX70QA has amazing reviews, and seems like the tremolo is decent. for $200 vs $179, I take the ibanez.
2) Looks gorgeous. I still look at it and like it. Ibanez sucks on that, unless you are 13 and want to look "Rock".
3) The mics and all the electronics work perfect. Never had high-end anything, but everything works as expected, rock solid. Potentiometers have no noise. Jack has no noise. Is great on that side.
4) Sound is good. Output is on the high gain, but amazingly good. The mics switch does really work like magic. You can get all the tones you need from this. I use an MXR M108S EQ and you get any sound you want.
5) The guitar gave me a lot of harmonics. More even with the Behringer TO800 I have (A clone of the Ibanez Tube Screamer). Using the D'Addario EXL115BT sounded like ZZ Top. I really like that a lot.
6) You need to know how to tune, change string, tuss rod adjustment, set the saddle. I had to do all of those things. The guitar is $129, so spending $90 on a shop to do it makes no sense, would get the $200 ibanez if can't do it myself. Thankfully internet is full of tutorials. You need to change the strings it comes with. I'll talk more about strings shortly after
7) The tuning pegs are wobbly. They would not hold tuning on the default strings that came with the guitar for 5 seconds.
8) The strings it came with suck. Too thin, which is a problem because the short scale already has low tension. Thing went out of tune after playing 10 minutes. More, you can tune it, and you make and open chord and sounds out of tune because the simple act of pressing the string will bend id. Moved to some D'Addarios 11-50, and improved but still too flimsy. Changed for some Dunlop 12-54. Perfect tune, but sounds like playing a mouth harp. At the end, tried some D'Addario EJ21, 12-52. Lost a little bit of the magic harmonics of the 11-50's but stays in tune, and open chords sound good. Also tuning pegs seem to like it better.

So, If you get one, and don't know where to start, this is my checklist:

a) Make sure the price competes with the ibanez mikro
b) Change the strings to compensate the tension. D'Addario EJ21 worked the best for me.
c) Get ready to adjust saddle, and maybe tuss rod.

After all that, you'll have a perfectly functional, amazingly good looking guitar

Best luck!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Welcome, atomic dog. Can haz pictures?
theatomicdog

Post by theatomicdog »

NickS wrote:Welcome, atomic dog. Can haz pictures?
Thought I replied, but looks like not. Here they go...

BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Man, that color just really works for that guitar
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

got myself a grey one to mod it... but damn it only needed heavier strings and nothing else!!!
my name is Pat.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Hey Pat! Long time no see!
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

dots wrote:Hey Pat! Long time no see!
hey nice to be here again, seeing the same old folks as always! :D
still gear hoarding and stuff...
my name is Pat.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Just bought one too.

Not my picture. But hopefully looks a bit like that.
All the stars aligned, wanted a humbucker guitar. This is pretty. It's my birthday soon.

Zing!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Hurb wrote:Just bought one too.

Not my picture. But hopefully looks a bit like that.
All the stars aligned, wanted a humbucker guitar. This is pretty. It's my birthday soon.

Zing!
Wow that is a lovely looking thing
jc808

Post by jc808 »

It really is! I'm not a humbucker lover, but that could sway things. The finish is perfect!
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

I missed this. Hurbstagram now makes sense.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I dun an unboxing and Demo lolz

[youtube][/youtube]