Kauer Guitars...

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

speedfish

Kauer Guitars...

Post by speedfish »

My post on DNA guitars made me think of these guys.

http://www.kauerguitars.com/daylighter/arcturus

Nice twist on the Jazzmaster.

Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

The chap who makes those is a regular over on *amber*
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I love them so hard.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Though I'd be more inclined to get a blue Banshee. Unf.

robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i like it.... but there are a few things that bother me. i feel like the bridge pup needs to be closer to the bridge, and the bottom horn isn't rounded enough. it makes me want to take it to a sander. but i dig everything else about it, and the gold foil looking pups have me intrigued.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Looks like a NoHo for blueslawyers
Grant

Post by Grant »

Nick wrote:Image

Holiest Of All Shits, I desire these muchly.
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

I live in the Chicago suburbs, and the first time I saw a Kauer it was in the hands of Kate Moss in a little bar in St. Charles, IL. She was great, and after the show I went crazy on Google trying to find her guitar. I just had to have one! Then I found it online and saw the price........ I don't have one.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

that fiesta red one

holy balls
dots wrote:incesticide
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Is "universal pickup routing" an expensive way of saying "swimming pool route?"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

This Kauer guy was a prominent member of My les paul forum or just les paul forum and used to make only one model with the Jaguar style body and 3+3 angled headstock. He made that model with different types of pickups and asked a couple of thousand bucks for it if I recall correctly. Times they are a-changing, ten years ago blooz lawyers worshipped only the holly grail of all guitars 59 Les Paul with divine vintage correct PAFs and with the approved by gods of tone 17 degree angle of the headstock. Now they all show interest in Danelectros, Supros, Silvertones, Jaguars, Coronados etc. So the guy just tries to keep up with the times
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

That headstock design where the bottom part of the headstock coloured and the name written on it. The idea was widely used before by Fano (which is another manufacturer strictly for blooz lawyers) and that was, I think, their interpretation of Rickenbacker headstock logo only for a Fender style headstock. I wanted to use this idea on my guitar that I was building
NickD

Post by NickD »

No longer being made - he's selling off the last few(I got it wrong, see below). Hand making guitars, even when they sell for pretty high prices and you have a waiting list isn't enough to pay the bills it seems.
Last edited by NickD on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Are you sure you're not mixing Kauer (DougK) up with Rhoney (Stereordinary)?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

7 years ago I liked to check the guitar building section of Les Paul Forum and at the time the big thing that was selling all those guitars was mojo that was present only in the 1-2 piece bodies of quarter sawn Honduran mahogany, one piece quarter sawn Hoduran mahogany necks, quartersawn Brasilian rosewood fretboards, and AAAA grade flame maple tops. All of these things were essential to the tone of course. Hardware was important too, every piece of it that was cheaper than $100 couldn't sound any good.
I think that since that time a lot of affordable guitars appeared on the market and many people found out that after just swapping pickups a $100 Chinese guitar could sound really good
NickD

Post by NickD »

BearBoy wrote:Are you sure you're not mixing Kauer (DougK) up with Rhoney (Stereordinary)?
I am mixing them up it seems - they share a workshop, it is quite confusing :lol:

My point about hand making guitars stands though. I'll edit my post above to not start any false rumours.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

sunshiner wrote:That headstock design where the bottom part of the headstock coloured and the name written on it. The idea was widely used before by Fano (which is another manufacturer strictly for blooz lawyers) and that was, I think, their interpretation of Rickenbacker headstock logo only for a Fender style headstock. I wanted to use this idea on my guitar that I was building
I was thinking it was an "opposite of a Firebird" thing...

Kauer has some really cool ideas, I'd own one. Except I can't justify the cost. You could build one for 1/4 the price.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

These Supro influenced ones are cool. I've seen their work on various forums over the years. They really seem to be fans of guitar making and finishing and built that into a business. They've done some neat "doghair" and "starry night" finishes.

Last edited by jcyphe on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Dillon wrote: I was thinking it was an "opposite of a Firebird" thing...
I think that this
was copied from this
that (the curved stripe and the logo on it) was somehow inspired by this
At least I was thinking this way "inventing" the headstock design for my build, trying to transfer the Ricks curve on the strat style headstock, untill I realised that I saw Fano headstock before and actually didn't invent anything new
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Grant wrote:
Nick wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Holiest Of All Shits, I desire these muchly.
This will require an arrangement with ((aug))