Hofner Shorty Travel Guitar

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

chemistforhire

Hofner Shorty Travel Guitar

Post by chemistforhire »

This year I have been having to travel a lot for work, so I decided to get a travel guitar. I was initially just going to buy a cheap squire mini and just cut away part of the body that was not necessary. But then I came across these Hofner shorty travel guitars for cheap that had a full sized neck (Gibson scale) and bought one of those instead.

The maple neck felt great. It was comfortable and thin with no gloss on the back. Its like a weird mix of a Gibson / Fender neck. Gibson like in scale and radius, but fender like in feel, construction and materials. The pickup was also pretty versatile for such a cheap guitar.

There were somethings, however, that I did not like. Mainly the wraparound bridge used. This bridge was so close to the pickup, that to restring the guitar you have to remove the bridge each time. The bridge also sat to high off the body, making the action way too high. My other problem was with the cheap tuners used. They slipped and rattled, so the thing would not stay in tune. So I decided to try and resolve some of these issues. I found someone selling a Hipshot baby grand bridge online at a discounted price, so I scooped it up. But to get the Hipshot to work with this guitar I had get different set of post/bushings because the ones that came with the hipshot were too loose and tall to just drop in. I did not want to drill and toothpick the guitar because the body was made of basswood and I feared messing it up. I found that I could use the original bushings that came with the guitar and could pair them with metric Tone pro post. The low profile hipshot bridge allowed me to lower the action considerably and string installation and intonation became a breeze because it was not a wraparound bridge. I then replaced the tuners with some mini grover locking tuners. All in all I am very happy with how this came out. In the future I most likely going to replace the plastic nut with a bone nut.

One more thing. This guitar is very neck heavy and finding a way to play this comfortably while sitting down can be very difficult. But after experimentation, I discovered if you strap it like you would an acoustic guitar where you tie it up at the neck behind the nut you can solve this problem easily.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Looks cool I quite like the odd looking thing
XY
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

The Hofner looks fun.

http://www.erlewineguitars.com/pgs/chiquita.htm

I think the above link is the coolest of all the smallish travel guitars.

The Fernandes Nomad is another little one that is shaped like a kidney and has come in zillion colors and paint schemes.

Last edited by jcyphe on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I actually almost bought one of these Hofners some months back after finding out how much the Erlewine Chiquitas went for.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

jcyphe wrote: The Fernandes Nomad is another little one that is shaped like a kidney and has come in zillion colors and paint schemes.

Ah the Jane's Addiction guitar...
XY