Replacing behind the nut locking nut...

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

speedfish

Replacing behind the nut locking nut...

Post by speedfish »

Had a Kahler installed on my first electric back in the early 80's. I was never happy with the shoddy job that the luthier did on the locking nut. He butchered my headstock and placed the locking nut to far away from the string nut, so that I couldn't access the Truss rod nut without completely removing the locking nut!

Here's what I replaced the original locking nut with:

http://www.kahlerusa.com/guitar-tremol ... k-standard

Removed the old above the nut string lock. I plugged the holes with toothpicks, clipped and sanded them flat, then installed the new string lock and truss rod cover. As you can see from my poor pics the truss rod can be accessed now without removing the stringlock.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
MattK

Post by MattK »

Well dammit man, I am not a locking trem kind of guy but I salute good work when I see it. Hope you're pleased with your fix, looks like it was well executed.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

MatthewK wrote:Well dammit man, I am not a locking trem kind of guy but I salute good work when I see it. Hope you're pleased with your fix, looks like it was well executed.

I'm not really into locking trems either. Indiscretions of my youth. Young and dumb. :cry:

But, I am happy with the end result. Wish that I could've completely hidden the extra holes, but they definitely don't jump off the headstock like they did before.

Thanks,
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
jamba72

Post by jamba72 »

interesting..that Electra Paula is one of the nicer old japanese ones I think..

On my old Gordon Smith I originally had a Kahler Trem with locking nuts..I removed it completley, filled the trem cavity and installed a custom made bone nut instead of that old sharp brass nut like you have..much better now tonewise and more stable..