EPIPHONE LES PAUL SL

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

How have you wired the varitone?
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Bacchus wrote:How have you wired the varitone?
I probably shouldn't refer it to a Vari-Tone because it isn't like the original Gibson circuit that used an inductor but it consists of a high quality switch that will allow up to 12 different C or R/C options
Mine is set up currently for six variables.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

incredible, they keep pushing the release date back more and more. now 30.01.
not that i care, but... well...

aw fuck them.
my name is Pat.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

robroe wrote:here's an old 1963 epiphone olympic.

im sure a bunch of inspiration came from it
No inspiration came from any Epiphone of the past, though there is some overlap:
I think of all old-school Epiphones that ever had that Coronado/Wilshire body shape as the extra-budget versions of Gibson budget models. The original Coronado was pretty much a doublecut LP Jr. until they made it even cheaper by using Melody Maker parts instead. There was also an EB-0 style Newport bass for awhile.
These SL things are more the way modern Epi manifests: they visually copied a Gibson but gave it a bolt-on neck so as to facilitate an MSRP only slightly more spendy than a can of Alpo.

The SL is a bolt-on version of a '59 dual-pickup Gibson Melody Maker, including the exact pickguard shape. When Gibson reissued the dual-pickup version in 2007 they kept it 2-knob/same pickguard as the single pickup version, whereas the original vintage dual-pickup versions had the same pickugard as the SL because they had dual volume/dual tone and a 3-way like all 2-pickup Gibsons of the era.

a 1960 MMD:
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It is Coronet, not Coronado. They didn't develop Olympic as a cheaper version of Coronet to use parts from Melody Maker. First Olympic were exact copies of Melody Makers, only they had a vertical Epiphone logo on a slightly different headstock.

First issue of Coronets/Wilshires appeared after Gibson bought Epiphone (1958?) and moved the production to Kalamazoo. Those first models still had New York pickups which were originally developed by Epiphone before Gibson bought it.

Second issue came in 1960 or 1962, both Coronet and Wilshire got P90s instead of NY pickups; new model Crestwood was basically a Wilshire, but with mini humbuckers instead of P90s and oval markers instead of dots(happy birthday!). They had the same double cut shape with two equally long horns as the 1958 models, but the body edges were rounded and the pickguards were different. At the same time appeared Olympic which was the exact copy of MM.

In 1964 all four models got the same body shape with the lower horn shorter than the upper and now they all had a batwing headstock. Coronet kept having a P90; Wilshire now had two mini humbuckers; Crestwood had two or three mini humbuckers, oval fret markers and binding; Olympic had one or two pickups option and now had the same body shape as all the Epiphone solid bodies. This step was obviously made to unify the production of four models. By the way for a brief period of time in 1964 IIRC Olympic was made with the big old 3+3 headstock that Coronets/Wilshires used to have, but had the same body shape as the senior models

Another thing to mention, I've read and I think I even checked long time ago in old catalogues, that although nowadays Epiphones are the cheaper versions of Gibson, back then from 1958 till 1970 (when Gibson was sold to Norlin), all Epiphone models were sold for slightly higher prices than Gibsons despite the fact that they were made on the same lines by the same personnel using the same parts. I suppose Gibson made it to eradicate internal competition in favor for its own family models and that's possibly one of the reasons why solid body Epiphones were never as popular in the late 60s as Gibsons. Non of Coronets/Wilshires/Olympics were cheaper versions of Juniors/SGs/Melody makers and instead were $10-$20 or more bucks more expensive

Ironically, before the internet most guitarist and guitar/pawn shop owners had no idea that those solid body Epiphones were made by Gibson and were as quality as vintage Les Pauls or SGs. Many considered them to be junk and I remember reading on Les Paul or similar forum 10 years ago or so some man resenting why those shitty Coronets were growing in prices, because they were apparently no match for vintage Juniors and that he used to see them all over the pawn shops going for nothing for decades
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

paul_ wrote:When Gibson reissued the dual-pickup version in 2007 they kept it 2-knob/same pickguard as the single pickup version, whereas the original vintage dual-pickup versions had the same pickugard as the SL because they had dual volume/dual tone and a 3-way like all 2-pickup Gibsons of the era
When they came out they cost $300-350 new and were made in the US. It's crazy to imagine something coming out at this price right now. In spite of that, there were a lot of people bitching about single coils instead of traditional humbuckers (only 10 years ago a Gibson with single coils was a weird thing in the eyes of majority) and a poor paint job. I forgot the name of a wanker who used to unscrew pole pieces from humbuckers, he made a video at the time whining about the paint job and telling that it wasn't "real Gibson"
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Oh yeah, Cornet, not Coronado. This is why I just gave up and refuse to buy anything that isn’t SG-shaped anymore.

and Scott Grovelolz
I never felt right making fun of him because it was pretty obvious that he had genuine handicap/trauma, but yeah, he used to spread a lot of disinfo as if he were some kind of “tellin it like it is� expert. Most recent vid of his I saw just a month back he was wearing a sleeveless Free Bird t-shirt and explaining how only idiots would mic their amp to make a youtube vid because then you’re processing the signal and being DISHONEST about how the amp really sounds in the room... so camera audio is better for gear demos, ya dumb motherfuckers!
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I'm not biased against him, and actually some other guitarist told me once that he prefers amp demos that are captured by the camera mic, because in his opinion that sound was closer to what you hear IRL when you play through the amp and that several times he was dissatisfied after hearing youtube demos of amps being miced and then trying them IRL

What I didn't like at the time when the demo was done is that he boldly judged a $300 guitar and then he just disabled the comment section as well as the like/dislike function to spare his tender nature from any kind of critical comment. And there weren't many other reviews of the guitar on youtube back then

EDIT: I read my previous post and saw that I called him a wanker. That probably proves that I'm still biased against him
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

paul_ wrote:
robroe wrote:here's an old 1963 epiphone olympic.

im sure a bunch of inspiration came from it
No inspiration came from any Epiphone of the past,

you seriously just went 8 months into the past to quote me in a post that the photo doesn't even work anymore because its so old photobucket died? then posted some photos of guitars that weren't what I posted.

really?

dude come on. I know my shit.

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The Gibson Melody Maker came out before that though, in 1959

http://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/71 ... 9-sunburst

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

what you are saying is the same as a band starting today cant be inspired by guns n roses because Aerosmith came out first

its the same shit

paul was posting photos of wilshires n shit. different shit.

its not the same shit
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

honestly fuck gibson because _________. fill in whatever you want.

if i get a chance to reference epiphone about anything over gibson im going to do it.

hahahah gibson suuuuuuuuuuuuuucksssssssssssssssssssss

plus we are in a thread ABOUT EPIPHONES.

its not out of the realm of possibility that the makers at EPIPHONE said FUCK YOU 1959 GIBSON MELODY MAKER. WE THINK OUR 1960 OLYMPIC IS COOLER BECAUSE IT SAYS EPIPHONE ON IT, WE ARE INSPIRED BY IT, AND FUCK YOUR SHIT COMPANY.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

robroe wrote:what you are saying is the same as a band starting today cant be inspired by guns n roses because Aerosmith came out first

its the same shit
lol, apples and oranges, man; you can't compare physical objects, with specific quantifiable designs to the sound of a band. Where do you even gettttttt this shit
robroe wrote:paul was posting photos of wilshires n shit. different shit.
its not the same shit
paul_ wrote: The SL is a bolt-on version of a '59 dual-pickup Gibson Melody Maker, including the exact pickguard shape. When Gibson reissued the dual-pickup version in 2007 they kept it 2-knob/same pickguard as the single pickup version, whereas the original vintage dual-pickup versions had the same pickugard as the SL because they had dual volume/dual tone and a 3-way like all 2-pickup Gibsons of the era.

a 1960 MMD:
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Epiphone Olympics were made at the same factory in Kalamazoo as Melody Makers by the same people using the same parts/materials, but Olympics came 1-2 years later than Melody Makers. They were like apples and other apples
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

MMMMHMMMMM
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

so doog and pauls arguement has now changed from you cant get inspiration from the olympic because it was made in the same factory from the same parts

to the squier vista series sucks because it says squier on the headstock, he doesn't care if it was made in the same factory with the same parts as the fender jaguars and mustangs of the day.

DIFFERENT STICKER MAAAAAAN FUCK SQUIERRRRR
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Quit crying, rob.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

robroe wrote:so doog and pauls arguement has now changed from you cant get inspiration from the olympic because it was made in the same factory from the same parts
Eh? What does that have to do with anything? The Gibson was literally first, just because the 60s Epi was built there too later doesn't stop the Gibson design from predating the 60s Epiphone by a few years.

Your argument is akin to saying 'the 2018 Squier Strats are based on the 1990 Squier Strats'. They're not, they're based on the old Fender design.

Rob sucks so hard at arguing; he can do the 'red-faced' part, but not the 'facts' bit
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

y'all ARE STILL arguing about funny shaped epiphones in the year of the lord 2018.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »