EPIPHONE LES PAUL SL

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Here's my new Turquoise SL after a few mods and a setup.

Image Image Image
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Very nice. Reminds me of my strat (surf green + minihums) that I made a couple of years ago, I'll post some pictures later.
What pickups did you put in yours?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

sunshiner wrote:Very nice. Reminds me of my strat (surf green + minihums) that I made a couple of years ago, I'll post some pictures later.
What pickups did you put in yours?
I used a budget set - Snake Oil Mini Humbuckers from Foundry Tone. I've put them in a few guitars and always like how they sound.

They sell them at C.B. Gitty, a cigar box guitar company. http://www.cbgitty.com/
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Photobucket effectively destroyed my old photos. I spent 10 minutes registering on another picture uploader and it kept not working on me. So some time in the future...
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

just use imgur for third party hosting, photobucket is all sorts of fucked and now you need to upgrade your account for third party image hosting meaning a ton of pics just plain arent visible anymore
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

PV-1955 wrote:Here's my new Turquoise SL after a few mods and a setup.

Image Image Image
This looks fricking great, nice work.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Doog wrote:
PV-1955 wrote:Here's my new Turquoise SL after a few mods and a setup.
This looks fricking great, nice work.
Thanks! I am really surprised how good this guitar is after a little bit of work.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

i'm really digging those pickups, i love the look of no poles and big chrome, plus the tuners look great, I'd love to get an SL and make it look like this
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

OK it's (apparently) officially out now. will check one out these days, just for the kicks... :?
my name is Pat.
George

Post by George »

Very cool mods. Neck profile looks a bit clubby. How is it?
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

George wrote:Very cool mods. Neck profile looks a bit clubby. How is it?
I love the neck profile. They call it Slim Taper D and it is similar to some of my Epi SGs that I own. It's got substance but not at all bat-like. I'm ready to mod another.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I reckon I'm gonna grab one of these after Christmas and give it a spin for the Beige Palace album sessions (starting 29/01!). Gonna give it to a local tech who took my EB3 (which was practically unplayable when I bought it off some bloke in... Rochdale maybe?) and set it up to play like buttah.

I'll probably get him to replace the tuners and intonate it for the dumb tuning I'm using almost exclusively these days (CADGBC, fact fans). What else do we reckon neeeeeds upgrading?

I'm generally a big fan of cheap single coils so I doubt I'll be bothered about replacing the pickups, been using my old Squier Affinity Tele for the past 6 months and loving the sounds I'm getting.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Freddy V-C wrote:I reckon I'm gonna grab one of these after Christmas and give it a spin for the Beige Palace album sessions (starting 29/01!). Gonna give it to a local tech who took my EB3 (which was practically unplayable when I bought it off some bloke in... Rochdale maybe?) and set it up to play like buttah.

I'll probably get him to replace the tuners and intonate it for the dumb tuning I'm using almost exclusively these days (CADGBC, fact fans). What else do we reckon neeeeeds upgrading?

I'm generally a big fan of cheap single coils so I doubt I'll be bothered about replacing the pickups, been using my old Squier Affinity Tele for the past 6 months and loving the sounds I'm getting.
The cheap single coils that come stock are actually quite great once you dial them in a bit. I grabbed a yellow one to mess with too.

Doug

Post by Doug »

westtexasred wrote:Image

Look under the pickguard...pure shite for us; notice the mistake corrected with a piece of wood glued-in? Wouldn't even trust the neck pocket construction as a platform; not bad for kids just thinking they wanna learn.

Ya pay $120 USD plus for a poorly constructed guitar; invest $100 USD minimum in new tuners and pups; pay yer tech or consider yer labor; so ya got somethin a bit North of $300 USD in a fun project. I want to create my own axe based on an Epi SG Pro, just for thte fun of it.

Or you want a new guitar and enjoy the quest for a good used one for $300 USD.
Doug
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Premier Guitar Review Click Here

[youtube][/youtube]
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Doug wrote: Look under the pickguard...pure shite for us; notice the mistake corrected with a piece of wood glued-in? Wouldn't even trust the neck pocket construction as a platform; not bad for kids just thinking they wanna learn.
Ya pay $120 USD plus for a poorly constructed guitar; invest $100 USD minimum in new tuners and pups; pay yer tech or consider yer labor; so ya got somethin a bit North of $300 USD in a fun project. I want to create my own axe based on an Epi SG Pro, just for thte fun of it.
Or you want a new guitar and enjoy the quest for a good used one for $300 USD.
?? Well that’s certainly one opinion lol!

Here's what it looks like under the hood of mine and the total cost was $169.00 after new tuners, pickups and a proper rewire.

These are fantastic modding platforms that can be made into excellent guitars for very little money and effort.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Here's the current state of my Yellow SL.

Image Image
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Both looks awesome and though I'm not a fan of pickups rings over the pickguard, but I dig the adjustable bridge and Gretsch knobs. What are all those micro switches for?
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

sunshiner wrote:Both looks awesome and though I'm not a fan of pickups rings over the pickguard, but I dig the adjustable bridge and Gretsch knobs. What are all those micro switches for?

I am not sure about the pickup rings either which is why they aren't screwed down on the corners.
Here's how it is wired up now. It will more than likely change in the future but I wanted set it up for some comparisons including different sets of treble bleed R/C values and a bleed defeat.

George

Post by George »

Wow.