MIDI tyro - FCB1010, M5, Pod

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Most recent Mac OS update (Catalina) has made Automap useless, and Novation aren't going to develop it any further. So my Novation Impulse now doesn't work like it used to. Irritatingly, Novation have sort of patched the problem by releasing a firmware update that adds HUI functionality to the Impulse, but Ableton doesn't use it.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Got the Behringer. I'm focused on getting that to work now, then I'll worry about the Novation. Considering downgrading my operating system to one where stuff just works.

This is basically impossible. I've had a dabble, and I can see midi messages registering in Ableton (it has a light in the top right hand corner of the screen that illuminates when Ableton receives midi) but I haven't been able to see the Behringer listed or detected as a midi device anywhere, either in Mac's System Preferences or in Ableton's Midi devices.

Had a quick look at the Mountain Utilities app, and I'll get into that deeper now. It looks like what GUIs looked like in 2002 or so. I like it!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Sussed the Behringer. Still need to explore setting up the expression pedals, but it's working pretty seamlessly with Ableton.

Also want to explore using it within plugins within Ableton.

[youtube][/youtube]
lorez

Post by lorez »

Be interested in seeing how you get on. I've held back upgrading my Mac for sometime due to issues with Ableton and other synths. Heard nothing but problems for people and Catalina

Bought myself a lanchcontrol xl recently which is brilliant.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I was loath to downgrade, because of the amount of time I'd already dumped into getting things working with Catalina. If it wasn't for that, I definitely would not upgrade.

I've remapped the Novation Impulse and I have it doing most of the things I can remember Automap doing. There is probably functionality that I've lost, but none that I can remember, so that shouldn't be a problem. Keyboard is sorted.

Behringer works brilliantly. I used the video posted above to learn how programming it works, then exported those settings into the Mountain Utilities software that Nick posted about. This made it easier for me to understand how the software works. Now it controls everything I need it to in Ableton, and it controls everything in Amplitube.

Only issue now is that I've run out of USB ports on my computer (only 2 on the MacBook, which is a bit shite). So I'm wondering if I can free one up by having the Impulse set up using midi cables (midi out from interface to midi in on Behringer, midi out/thru on Behringer to midi in on Impulse, midi out on Impulse to midi in on interface. Any idea if this will work?).

Other than that, I'm looking at purchasing a Thunderbolt hub, which will be pricey, but will give loads of options and probably make the whole setup easier to manage. Price might be manageable because it's Thunderbolt 2 and not Thunderbolt 3, so it's old tech, sort of.

Then I'll have Behringer, Impulse, Launchpad and the EWI all plugged in at once, and still have room to add a Behringer Crave or Arturia Microfreak at some point. Or maybe both....
lorez

Post by lorez »

Daisy chaining like you said should work, just need to have them on separate midi channels. I'd get the HUD still, I have the same issue and also looking for one. Or get a midi hub.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Cheers. I imagined that's how midi should work, but I'm still a bit clueless.

I think that ultimately a hub would be great, and would make set up much, much easier, but there's no point spending money if I don't need to.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Hm, hasn't worked. The Novation has Midi in and Midi out, not Midi out/thru.

Might it be that the midi messages being sent by the Behringer aren't getting past the Novation?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Never worry, I changed the order in the daisy chain now everything works as it should.

So close, now the EWI is shitting the bed any time the Firebox is used for MIDI. They're all set for different channels, so I don't know why. Will go for a pint and a think and see if that fixes it.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Bacchus wrote:Never worry, I changed the order in the daisy chain now everything works as it should.

So close, now the EWI is shitting the bed any time the Firebox is used for MIDI. They're all set for different channels, so I don't know why. Will go for a pint and a think and see if that fixes it.
I was going to respond about order of devices. Not sure about the EWI
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Bacchus wrote:Will go for a pint and a think and see if that fixes it.
Aye, pour beer on it.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Works today. Seems the problem was the wrong decade?
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote:Works today. Seems the problem was the wrong decade?
:lol:
Would have thought it would definitely not work in this brave new decade.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Bacchus wrote:Works today. Seems the problem was the wrong decade?
Getting over its Y2K hangover