G&L Doheny

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Yeah count me in. For one those G&L trems look fannntastic on stage because they are all shiny and they hold tune really well. The shape is cool and the colours work, and it's G&L so it's probably going to be mad decent and weigh around about 700-1000 instead of 1500-2000 for the equivalent Fender.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

[youtube][/youtube]
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

I like it, but would probably bloody my hand from that toggle switch.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

lmao dude really can't remember the tone circuit is just tone, volume, lead/rhythm switch? that shit always blows my mind, that people find that so confusing. i think i figured out the jazzmaster controls before i figured out gibson four-knob controls lmao
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The rhythm circuit is like a treble bleed station for the neck pickup. It engages the neck pickup only and run through a capacitor, then has it's own volume and tone controls (though I can't imagine why you'd want to roll off a tone control on the rhythm circuit, which even on full whack needs a pretty bright amp to be useful as a jazz rhythm guitar function). It's specifically intended to be a dampener switch for people who might use the neck pickup on the lead circuit anyway and don't want to roll off the guitar's main tone control for a similar sound. Basically the guitar was designed around electric jazz playing, so there's a proviso for jumping from your most-of-night rhythm sound to a lead sound. Early Teles/Broadcasters had this too (in lieu of a middle-position switch setting), and it never left the Esquire design due to providing variety for the single pickup.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I suppose there are moments when you actually *want* a neck pickup sound with the treble rolled off, e.g. when you're using an Ebow or trying to bring out the upper octave of an octave fuzz. I've seriously considered putting the rhythm circuit back into my JM for those two reasons. I tend to have the tone knob set around halfway, and sometimes a bit higher when the strings are getting old so I guess the second set of controls wouldn't be completely useless to me.

Another peculiar side-effect of the JM rhythm circuit iirc is that, when the treble is rolled off completely, it removes a bit of bass as well as treble. I'm sure there's some physics-y theory behind it, but it took me by surprise a bit.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

To put it in layman's terms, as I've always known it: rhythm circuit is neck pickup but with treble rolled off. Boom, shit is so simple that not knowing how it works in this day and age of guitars, where the Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars aren't some esoteric legend, with no easily accessible information about it. In a world where $400 budget, but complete, versions of them exist, it really shouldn't be so hard to figure out anymore. It's not even all that wild, like one of those old Vox guitars that had 5 different effects and and organ on board.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Tribute version has been announced! Should be in stores by May.

I fucking want one.

Details from the dealer price list:
NEW! Doheny
Finishes
- Jet Black, 3-ply White pickguard, tinted gloss neck with Maple fingerboard and black block inlays
TI-DOH-113R01M13 UPC: 791018366720

- Olympic White, 3-ply black pickguard, tinted gloss neck and Maple fingerboard and black block inlays
TI-DOH-113R56M23 UPC: 791018366751

- Surf Green, 3-ply white pickguard, tinted gloss neck and Brazilian Cherry fingerboard with white pearloid block inlays
TI-DOH-113R51R13 UPC: 791018366744

- Lake Placid Blue, 3-ply white pickguard, tinted gloss neck and Brazilian Cherry fingerboard with white pearloid block inlays
TI-DOH-113R04R13 UPC: 791018366737

Body wood Basswood
Neck wood Hard-Rock Maple
Neck dimensions 1 5⁄8â€� width at nut, 9.5â€� radius
Pickups Two wide bobbin G&L Magnetic Field Design pickups
Controls 3-position pickup selector, volume, PTB system
Bridge G&L Dual-Fulcrumâ„¢ vibrato
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I wonder if there will be a hardtail Tribute version. I would be super into that. No info on their website yet (unless I'm missing it somehow).

Bottom line for me is this: I want a hardtail Jazzmaster with no Strat jack. I'm loving my Telemaster currently.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

singlepup wrote:I wonder if there will be a hardtail Tribute version. I would be super into that. No info on their website yet (unless I'm missing it somehow).

Bottom line for me is this: I want a hardtail Jazzmaster with no Strat jack. I'm loving my Telemaster currently.
Hardtailing one of these should be about as easy as hardtailing a strat.

5 springs tightened all the way, and a small piece of wood.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I want to like that, but as previously mentioned by others, to me it doesn't look any better than something like this. In fact I like this better.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-JT100-O ... _2206.html