Fender Mustang Offset Shell Pink (My opinion)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

I would like to know. How is the tuning stability with light gauge strings? I have a few cheaper short-scale guitars with a fixed bridge that play wonderfully and sound great. But they become out of tune very easily with 009 or 008 gauge(with heavier strings I do not know because I use 009 mostly)
So before I spent 550 euros on another guitar I appriciate your advice on this.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Jagtornado wrote:I would like to know. How is the tuning stability with light gauge strings? I have a few cheaper short-scale guitars with a fixed bridge that play wonderfully and sound great. But they become out of tune very easily with 009 or 008 gauge(with heavier strings I do not know because I use 009 mostly)
I use 10s on mine so I have no experience with using lighter gauge strings on it but I have used lighter strings on other short scale guitars and have had no tuning issues using quality strings that have been properly stretched.
A lot of tuning issues end up being related to the nut.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Thanks for the reply. What kind of strings do you use? I like to try them as well.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Jagtornado wrote:Thanks for the reply. What kind of strings do you use? I like to try them as well.
I usually prefer Pure Nickel strings on my guitars (you may like other types) and Pyramid Classics are often on many of them, but there are others that I also like that are not as expensive.

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I am always surprised at how many guitar players do not properly stretch their strings, often replacing perfectly good tuning pegs or entire guitars trying to chase the problem. When you're tuning up, tune to the note, then pinch the string and bend it upwards (though not to the breaking point-this takes practice sometimes). It will go out of tune. Keep repeating the process. The string will go out of tune less and less each time until it finally hardly does anything. Your guitar should stay in tune now regardless of string gauge.

Most modern stock tuning pegs, even those on cheap guitars work perfectly fine. In my experience the only thing better tuners should give you is smoother movement and a better gear ratio for more precise tuning.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

^ Yup, totally.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Agreed. When restringing, I always give a new string a couple of tugs at various points along its length, then fret a few notes and do a bend at different frets. Plus a quick check to make sure they're not getting stuck in the nut or bridge saddle slots. Those are literal sticking points that can irritate the hell out of you, but are easily fixable.

I'm not sure what the variables are when it comes to "tuning stability" because relatively cheap instruments - the ones you'd expect to cause problems - may not necessarily give you any trouble. Is there a degree of luck involved? My MIJ JM for instance (which is nearly 20 years old and cost around £500 second-hand seven or eight years ago) is rock solid once a new set of strings are "stretched-in" using the standard procedure that Nick mentions above. I usually leave it overnight for the new strings to completely settle in, but after that point it's wonderfully dependable. That's one of the reasons why it's my favourite guitar I think.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I thought everybody did all that?

I don't think I've ever had a guitar with chronic tuning issues. Even cheap machineheads usually hold tuning fine. I say that as I'm sitting eyeing up a set of Wilkinson EZLOK tuners for my project strat, just because.
NickS

Post by NickS »

I notice the tuning on my V is very dependent on temperature. Must be a truss rod thermal expansion thing; they should be made of Invar.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Allright I am gonna try the tips Nick has given. I do stretch new strings but not as thourough as Nick describes above.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I don't tend to stretch mine, although I probably should. My technique has always been to string up, get everything in tune, and then bash the shit out of all six open strings for 30 seconds or so. Tune up again, then rinse and repeat until it stays in tune after all the bashing.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Jagtornado wrote:I would like to know. How is the tuning stability with light gauge strings? I have a few cheaper short-scale guitars with a fixed bridge that play wonderfully and sound great. But they become out of tune very easily with 009 or 008 gauge(with heavier strings I do not know because I use 009 mostly)
I've been using 9s on my Mustang for a few years. It sounds and plays completely fine. I play a Japanese Mustang, whose tailpiece I have locked, and use upgraded Kluson Deluxe machine heads. My other bandmate plays one of the new 24" scale Duo Sonic HS, I've installed locking tuners on it, and she also has been using 9s for a while. They don't go out of tune, either. You have to stretch strings, and you have to lubricate the nut and saddle, as with any guitar. You also can't use a clamp-on style capo and expect it to still be in tune, you can probably use a screw-on style.

I was reading some famous guitarist's thoughts on this at some point. He said this. String gauge is not about quality of tone or whatever, but about your touch and how you play. A lot of people play very heavy handed. Those people need thicker strings to sound good. Some people play really light. Those people probably sound better with lighter strings. The problem is if your right hand and left hand play differently: if you attack the strings with your picking hand, but your fretting hand is not strong enough to make heavy strings sound the way they should, or if you have vice grips for a fretting hand but have really light picking hand, then you will never be happy with any gauge of strings. If you play light with both hands, then you'll be fine putting 9s on a 24" scale.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Just a head's up for anyone who has been considering one of the recent Fender Mustangs in Shell Pink. Fender is no longer making them and there are no foreseeable plans to make more.
There are a few retailers that still have them, but they are dwindling.
barracuda

Post by barracuda »

I am so glad i got one!!

they have been officially discontinued and they are no longer for sale.
I did spot a second hand one on a Spanish craiglist and was tempted to buy it, but having two of them seemed crazy to me.
:o
barracuda

Post by barracuda »

Btw! A few months ago I recorded a little demo of the guitar and its sounds, here it is, clean through my fender blues JR.