Recycling a Squier Bullet Mustang neck

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

paulnb57

Recycling a Squier Bullet Mustang neck

Post by paulnb57 »

Recently picked up a used Squier Bullet Mustang neck, in my opinion they can be quite nice necks, but the decal lets it down, so as in my previous Mustang modding I sanded the decal off to get replaced as before, however, once sanded I decided to paint the headstock in the same colour as intended for the body

Meanwhile I ordered a custom Mustang body from Guitarbuild in the UK 2 piece Swamp Ash, no bridge or trem rout and also started sourcing other parts, locking tuners, scratchplate, Toronado bridge, control plate etc.....

For the decal police, the original made in Indonesia etc info is still on the rear of the headstock....
Last edited by paulnb57 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cover me in Chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

The body arrived and all the parts were fitted before painting

Then paint was applied...

Cheeky mockup after a coule of coats, note the bridge has been converted to 3 saddles, the original intonation screw holes are now the string retainers...

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Niiice!
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

Wired the thing up, rear switch selects pickups, front switch does nothing, paint is now finished, cut back and polished, pickups are Bare Knuckle Sinner at the bridge and a Creamery Strat size P90 at the neck, 250k solid shaft pots, .047cap, treble bleed, Jazz Bass knobs.
The paint went straight onto the bare wood, no primer or grain filler, so the paint sinks into the grain.....it an effect I like...
Still to do, volume pot is intermittent, prob a bad joint, I will probably rewire the whole thing to proper Mustang spec with the phase switch, needs strap buttons amd I don't like the current bridge saddles so they will be replaced.....

paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

Pickups were liberated from my other Bullet Mustang which now looks like this......which needs a clean!

I have spare White Tort scratchplate so might mod it to take the bridge humbucker with a neck single coil like the Cobain model......I have a Duncan JB........not sure yet
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I like that a lot.

I'm half expecting to get a kit guitar for Christmas and I'm thinking about a bright orange or pink stain and tru oil finish. This has somewhat whet my appetite for it.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

This orange bullet is classy. Great work!
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

Thanks for the comploments folks, it is my best build yet......well pleased...
Bacchus wrote:I like that a lot.

I'm half expecting to get a kit guitar for Christmas and I'm thinking about a bright orange or pink stain and tru oil finish. This has somewhat whet my appetite for it.
The bare Swamp Ash on this body really should have been stained, but I had my heart set on a very orange solid colour...
Last edited by paulnb57 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onefiftythree

Post by onefiftythree »

looks awesome!

what kind of paint did you use?
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

onefiftythree wrote:looks awesome!

what kind of paint did you use?
Thanks!

Rattle can Cellulose, which I buy from our local Auto paint supplier, really good quality, good paint to solvent ratio...no grain filler, no primer...