Possible Jagstang purchase...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Various mustang and jaguar models have been produced in Japan in the same factory that made the jagstang long before and long after

Forgive me for having zero interest in your 'expert' opinion on the neck differences when your solution for the bridge position issues is to use the neck

If anyone is channelling Trump levels of nonsense and double speak here it's you.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Cool prove it.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Show me a MG65 made in 1995.
Do it u wont
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

'65 RI Mustangs have been around since at least 1994. Identified by slab body, round white plastic tuning pegs, gold logo (not black), and either fiesta red or oly white (the real kind, not the gross ass yellow white from the 00s). Maybe daphne blue. And if it has the original neck plate it won't have that little black trash can sticker on it. I think this is one and the seller is wrong.

http://reverb.com/item/6734424-fender- ... mpic-white

As for the neck, I'm pretty sure rob isn't the only one on here who will swear that JS necks are thinner at the nut than MIJ/CIJ Mustang necks. I'll have to measure mine too.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Just compared the 65 and JS necks I have, at the nut there is 1mm difference. Which is negligible.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

How many mm total is each one?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Dillon wrote:'65 RI Mustangs have been around since at least 1994. Identified by slab body, round white plastic tuning pegs, gold logo (not black), and either fiesta red or oly white (the real kind, not the gross ass yellow white from the 00s). Maybe daphne blue. And if it has the original neck plate it won't have that little black trash can sticker on it. I think this is one and the seller is wrong.

http://reverb.com/item/6734424-fender- ... mpic-white

As for the neck, I'm pretty sure rob isn't the only one on here who will swear that JS necks are thinner at the nut than MIJ/CIJ Mustang necks. I'll have to measure mine too.

I'm going to need more than a picture of something you think is wrong. I can very easily spend 30 seconds on reverb and show you a sale with dates I KNOW are wrong.

http://reverb.com/item/8702824-fender- ... 5-96-white
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

The differences between a MG65 and a MG69 are this

The 65RI has
White plastic trapezoid F tuners
Pat pending #s on the decals
A Pre shrunk pickguard with a gap at the control plate
Grey bottom cloth wire pickups
Bigger bridge saddles that reduce rattle
Slab body
And
A chunkier neck.

The 69RI has stuff that isn't on that specific list.

The guitar on reverb you posted had a mix.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

It's not just one picture, it's a bunch. That's not a 94-95 for a number of reasons:

- 70s style F tuners with the hexagonal buttons instead of round buttons
- Gloss on the headstock is super thick, especially notice the gloss on the rosewood part
- Gloss and tint in general are different. Closer to modern Chinese models
- Patent info under the Fender logo
- Color of the fretboard. Early 90s 65 RIs have a dark fretboard, almost ebony dark
- Dark tort pickguard instead of the ugly red tort that early MIJ offsets used

All that aside, that one I posted clearly looks older than 2010. Unless it was like left exposed somewhere.

I had one with a serial number starting with S in 2004, before Fender made the switch back to Made in Japan. They exist dude. I'll see if I can find pictures of it.
Last edited by Dillon on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

robroe wrote:How many mm total is each one?
40mm and 41mm.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Dillon wrote:It's not just one picture, it's a bunch. That's not a 94-95 for a number of reasons:

- 70s style F tuners with the hexagonal buttons instead of round buttons
- Gloss on the headstock is super thick, especially notice the gloss on the rosewood part
- Gloss and tint in general are different. Closer to modern Chinese models
- Patent info under the Fender logo
- Color of the fretboard. Early 90s 65 RIs have a dark fretboard, almost ebony dark
- Dark tort pickguard instead of the ugly red tort that early MIJ offsets used

All that aside, that one I posted clearly looks older than 2010. Unless it was like left exposed somewhere.

I had one with a serial number starting with S in 2004, before Fender made the switch back to Made in Japan. They exist dude. I'll see if I can find pictures of it.
Mine has the plastic hex tuners,
thick gloss lacquer on the headstock,
Patent info under Fender
Made in Japan U017370

2010 model?

The petina of the maple looks older on mine, it's almost a honey colour.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

So the only picture I could find of the heel on the neck on my old one, it's so blurry you can't read the serial number. But what you can see is that it's stamped MG66. I don't know what that means...Googling that doesn't turn up much. But it was a '65-'66 style MIJ Mustang older than 2007.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Well yeah, they made MG66 models too. But that's a 4th model you are adding to the mix if you want to go down that road.

Here's the thing. I owned a jagstang, 69RI, and a 65RI, all at the same time, for years. I was able to hold all 3 at the same time, in the same hand, and Mike refuses to accept the fact that I know what I'm talking about and is dug in hard telling me stories of a factory 30 years ago with zero proof instead of trusting that my left hand is connected to my brain somehow

I can put 3 buckets in front of a 10 year old, ask him to pick them each up and tell me which one weighs the most, the least, and the one in the middle. Is he an expert on buckets? No. Does he know what he's talking about those 3 buckets?. Yep. Would I try telling him that bucket A and bucket B weighed the same because some bullshit happened in the bucket factory 30 years ago but can't prove it with any photographic evidence? I mean I might? But why?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

use the neck pickup
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

robroe wrote:Well yeah, they made MG66 models too. But that's a 4th model you are adding to the mix if you want to go down that road.

Here's the thing. I owned a jagstang, 69RI, and a 65RI, all at the same time, for years. I was able to hold all 3 at the same time, in the same hand, and Mike refuses to accept the fact that I know what I'm talking about and is dug in hard telling me stories of a factory 30 years ago with zero proof instead of trusting that my left hand is connected to my brain somehow

I can put 3 buckets in front of a 10 year old, ask him to pick them each up and tell me which one weighs the most, the least, and the one in the middle. Is he an expert on buckets? No. Does he know what he's talking about those 3 buckets?. Yep. Would I try telling him that bucket A and bucket B weighed the same because some bullshit happened in the bucket factory 30 years ago but can't prove it with any photographic evidence? I mean I might? But why?
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

robroe wrote:I owned a jagstang, 69RI, and a 65RI, all at the same time, for years. I was able to hold all 3 at the same time, in the same hand
Wait what? Weren't you saying that the JS neck is different than Mustang necks of the time? And Mike was saying no, it's just the same as a mid-late 90s CIJ Mustang neck?

On that note oh hey look what I found

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... bea69260d6

Anyway. Also found that the MG66 was an MIJ '65 RI from '94-95. Possibly Japan-only. So it was not the same as an MG65. But it was a '65 RI. I wish I still had it so I could compare.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Dillon wrote:
robroe wrote:I owned a jagstang, 69RI, and a 65RI, all at the same time, for years. I was able to hold all 3 at the same time, in the same hand
Wait what? Weren't you saying that the JS neck is different than Mustang necks of the time?
I was saying that the jagstang neck is different than the MG69 and the MG65.

Mike is saying its the same as the 65RI and that they had 65RI's laying around the office back in 1995.
Then I said they couldn't have because they didn't start making it until the next decade.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Dillon wrote: On that note oh hey look what I found

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... bea69260d6
i stand exactly by what I said back in 2009. no where in any of this did i say that a 65RI was laying around back in 1995 for them to use. I said its alot chunkier 9 years ago.
robroe wrote:depends on what mustang neck you are talking about.

they are the same exact as the reissue mustang made from 94-99 (brown tort pickguards). they came in olympic white with RED tort pickguards and sonic blue with RED tort pickguards. not to beconfused with the 69RI's from 2002-2005. those necks will work fine but they aren't the same exact thing. same as the necks from the 2000-2002 compstang RI's

still not the same as the current RI 65 mustang. this guitar has a chunkier profile than earlier reissues from japan. they have been progressively been getting chunkier

so it goes like this

1. jagstang 94-99 = mustang 94-99 thinest profile
2. compstang 00-02 = 69RI 02-05 medium profile
3. 65RI 06-09 = largest profile.

to a person that doesn't own all three of these guitars i doubt you would even notice though. im sure all the butts will fit just fine in all models though.
Last edited by robroe on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

doogs still on about a fuckin neck pickup. hahahahahah
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Doog wrote:use the neck pickup