PRS Announce John Mayer [s]Strat[/s] Sliver Sky

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PRS Announce John Mayer [s]Strat[/s] Sliver Sky

Post by Bacchus »

And it comes in black, white, and red.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-john-ma ... f0b01da341

Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Waste of good wood.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Maybe there might be some PRS fanboys who would rather the strat in their collection be of the same brand as everything else, but I can't imagine most customers who would drop $2,500 on a strat would want anything other than a Fender (or maybe a custom builder)
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

And then they wonder why guitar sales are down and kids don't want to play music with guitars.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Guitar sales are down because they make way too many of them and everyone knows you gotta hit the used market to get the deals.
Not to mention reverb and eBay. Plus the tons of horrible bland guitars that are over produced. You don’t need to be making sunburst strats every year.
brands like prs making strats is sad. Then again they basically have made their money making ugly ass Gibson knock offs with those ugly bird inlays.

But back to guitar sales cause I’m just typing this on the fly. Why would I pay some marked up price for a guitar that loses value and looks bland/comes with shit hardware when I can buy the same thing for less with possible upgrades (example: my jazzmaster). Guitar companies were doing good, then just slowly started falling out of touch and kooking themselves. Driving up prices while making them boring, coming up with endless variations of the same stuff.

To;dr It’s played out. Used markets popping though.
I’m glad to see it go, these corporate kooks are seeing the results of all the shitty marketing they’ve been doing for years.
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

I don't like John Mayer, I don't like PRS, I don't like single coils, and I'm not big on Strats. That guitar is pretty much everything I never wanted.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Haha, two and half grand and it looks like a fucken Argos catalogue / First Act Strat knock-off

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Is the lower horn all carved out? I can't tell on my phone. All that metal shredding he does
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Isn't this bag of doushe in the greatfull dead now? Hahahaha
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

he's just trying to recreate that elusive PEAVEY RAPTOR vibe
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Ugh. That headstock.

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

The headstock is not bad it just doesn't go with the Strat like design.

What do guitar players want anyways in a new guitar, or in production electric guitars. May be we should spin that off into another thread?
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

jcyphe wrote:The headstock is not bad it just doesn't go with the Strat like design.

What do guitar players want anyways in a new guitar, or in production electric guitars. May be we should spin that off into another thread?
Simple really.

It has to look good.

It has to feel good.

It has to sound good.

In that order, for obvious reasons: if it looks shit, I won't pick it up. If it feels shit, I won't plug it in. I vaguely remember something about from a training back in my guitar center days (in fact, it may have been PRS's sales training video), but it's true. Sadly, many modern guitars check the first box, and maybe the third, but miss the mark in feel, in no small part thanks to modern global markets and manufacturing "standards". Everything feels like it's from the same parts bin. The coolest neck I ever experienced was on a vintage Yamaha Sg5a someone brought in for a trade. fretboard was pencil thin and the profile was a deep V shape. It felt incredible to my hands but my initial thought was no one would ever design a neck like this anymore. Same goes for the uniquely designed bridges and tremolo systems from the 60's 70's and 80's.

But nope, give everything a "60's" or "modern C shape" neck. Everything gets a TOM, strat bridge, or bigsby. 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets. PAF style humbuckers or strat pickups. I go to a guitar center, look at the wall, and try to find the one or two guitars that might feel different than everything else on the wall, and often times there just aren't any.
George

Post by George »

Even the output jack pisses me off. Didn't think it would be possible to make those worse.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Nick wrote:
jcyphe wrote:The headstock is not bad it just doesn't go with the Strat like design.

Simple really.

It has to look good.
It's funny you mention this but one of my main factors in liking an electric guitar is whether I find it cool. Obviously what I find cool is mostly unique to my tastes and everybody has their own tastes. For me an electric guitar while being a seriously capable instrument, it's also something I associate with youth culture, fun, and technology. I think this is one of the things missing from modern guitar design. While there is a place for accurately recreating the past and proven classic electric guitar designs, that doesn't really help to come up with new designs. Guitar players are partly to blame for this but manufacturers are also to blame.
Last edited by jcyphe on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Doog wrote:Image
he's just trying to recreate that elusive PEAVEY RAPTOR vibe
:lol:

This is almost as bad as the Gibson Hendrix Strat from years ago.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

jcyphe wrote:
Nick wrote:

Simple really.

It has to look good.
It's funny you mention this but one of my main factors in liking an electric guitar is whether I find it cool. Obviously what I find cool is mostly unique to my tastes and everybody has their own tastes. For me an electric guitar while being a seriously capable instrument, it's also something I associate with youth culture, fun, and technology. I think this is one of the things missing from modern guitar design. While there is s place for accurately recreating the past and proven classic electric guitar designs, that doesn't really help to come up with new designs. Guitar players are partly to blame for this but manufacturers are also to blame.
agreed. What I miss is the inventiveness and how manufacturers' different approaches to problem solving made a difference in look feel and sound. We're living in a time where pop culture follows proven formulas for success. It's harder and harder to find "new" things that aren't totally derivative. Technology is still growing but when applied to guitars seems to only yield basic guitars centered on gimmicks (Firebird X, Variax, etc) for the most part.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Yeah that's what I meant really. I mean, I don't much like the PRS headstock anyway but on a Strat it looks hideous.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Consensus pretty much everywhere I've seen seems to be that this is just John Mayer's "fuck you Fender". After all, as already mentioned, if someone wanted to drop $2500 on a CBS-era type Strat, why would you get this and not a high-end Fender? I'm a PRS fan and I would never buy one of these. The only things PRS about it are the inlays and headstock shape (and yeah, that's fugly). And I don't even mean design-wise. It has a 25.5" scale, 7.25" radius, single coils, and a vintage-style bridge. Nobody who likes the traditional PRS design traits would want that.

Making it even more odd is that they already made a Strat-type once upon a time, albeit a less blatant ripoff, which I totally would rock. They're rare because they didn't sell well (go figure).

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

This whole topic is hot garbage