Anyone have any experience with chiptune?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Anyone have any experience with chiptune?

Post by kingkiller »

I’ve been on a weird lo-fi “hip-hop� (I hate that genre descriptor)/bubbly electronica kick and I’ve been doing a small bit of reading about making chiptune, does anyone have any experience with the equipment necessary? I’ve thought about picking up a GameBoy and a tracker, but I think there are trackers that emulate sound chips of old computers that can be used in DAWs?
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

It's kind of cool to use the real equipment.

But there's also one of the synths in lmms (it's free) that has chipsounds, and also a free C64 plug in synth that exists that you can download somewhere. And C64 emulators.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Fakir Mustache wrote:It's kind of cool to use the real equipment.

But there's also one of the synths in lmms (it's free) that has chipsounds, and also a free C64 plug in synth that exists that you can download somewhere. And C64 emulators.
I gave lmms a quick look just now, definitely going to have to download that tonight when I get home from work. I’m all for free creative software. If any C64 emulator will work, I’m going to have to browse for a few of those as well.
Zack

Post by Zack »

I've used lsdj in the past, both emulated and on a cartridge. It took awhile to get used to the interface but there's a lot of cool shit you can do with it if you're specifically looking for the gameboy sound. You can also import samples into the rom and use them in the wav channel iirc.

I'd recommend trying the rom and then if you're super into it you can get an old gameboy & cartridge. A lot of people who use their gameboys for music get them altered with backlights and "high quality" sound outputs. Could be a cool project.

There's also nanoloop, but I don't have enough experience with it to recommend it.

You'd need to do the research but I believe there are old synths with the same chips as older video game consoles, though I bet they're a bit costly.
Zack

Post by Zack »

you might find some interest in this channel for keyboards with sounds you might be looking for.

8-bit keys
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Zack wrote:I've used lsdj in the past, both emulated and on a cartridge. It took awhile to get used to the interface but there's a lot of cool shit you can do with it if you're specifically looking for the gameboy sound. You can also import samples into the rom and use them in the wav channel iirc.

I'd recommend trying the rom and then if you're super into it you can get an old gameboy & cartridge. A lot of people who use their gameboys for music get them altered with backlights and "high quality" sound outputs. Could be a cool project.

There's also nanoloop, but I don't have enough experience with it to recommend it.

You'd need to do the research but I believe there are old synths with the same chips as older video game consoles, though I bet they're a bit costly.
I’ve been playing a bit with FamiTracker, but I’ll have to try that too. I’m just experimenting with sounds for now