Recommend an amp for these criteria?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doug

Recommend an amp for these criteria?

Post by Doug »

I'm helping my god-son select a new amp to meet these criteria. Any suggestions?

-enough volume for jams or small gigs with drummer, bass, vocals
-playing mostly classic rock, blues rock. ideally a good dirty tone but also a nice clean to use with pedals.
-must have FX loop for pedals i already own
-reverb would be nice

Thanks,

Doug
Doug
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Price range? I'd look for a used Hot Rod Deluxe, haven't priced them out in a while but from what I remember they're a great value. Also maybe a Peavey Classic 30.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

jcm800 and a 4x12. quit fucking around
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Laney VC-15.
XY
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I used to have a Marshall DSL 401, which fits all the criteria here: great classic rock sound, nice enough cleans, FX loop and at 40 watts was just right for playing in a pub/club with a bassist and non-amplified live drummer.

The only issues are, they're not made any more and the earlier part of the production run had reliability issues where all the valves/tubes (four in the preamp iirc and four EL84s in the power amp, in cathode biased mode) produced so much heat that a bad solder joint on the PCB could kill the sound completely. If you find one used, and in full working order, it's a nice little-ish amp.

The other route you can take for a "British" rock tone with decent cleans is one of the smaller Oranges, like a TH30.

Alternatively, Fender do the bassbreaker range now, which is somewhat different from their usual stuff but might be worth checking out. The cleans aren't as bright as the typical blackface or whatever, but it's a nice warm sound and can do higher gain too.

The short answer though, is to take him and his guitar out to a decent store and pick out the nicest-sounding amp that he can afford. :P
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I’d say the new Marshall DSL20HR would be perfect. I love mine. Can get classic Marshall sound, good clean and there is actually a huge amount of gain on tap if you need it. Get the head and a decent cab though, combo reviews are less favourable. Really great price for what you get.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks Thom, Concretebadger, dezb1, Robroe, Nick for the suggestions and info.

Slainte,
Doug