Broken? Trem

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Noirie.
YOUTH

Broken? Trem

Post by Noirie. »

The insert of the trem on my Phantom got loose and fell into the body. Kinda weird never had that happen on these types of trem before.

Anyone else had this and is it fixable? Was gonna get better photos of it removed but kinda hesistant incase the whole thing fell apart :lol:

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Not had it happen, but known it happen. If you've not got a spare set of strings, capo the neck (even better, capo the neck twice, once near the nut and once near the body) to stop the strings wandering, back the string tension right off, then unscrew the trem from the body. See if it'll screw back in, if not get on eBay and buy a Squier one someone's (needlessly*) upgraded on their Classic Vibe. Or buy a replacement collet and arm from Staytrem.

* Didn't stop me doing it, mind, despite Stewart telling me there was no point.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Cheers Tim. I'll have a go at it tomorrow then.

The tremolo on this is weird anyway. It's set up from the factory to operate more like a bigsby.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Restrung and had a look under the hood earlier.

Yeah the insert fell out and looks like it won't fit back.

So, it's a hardtail now but still can get behind the bridge shit. Reckon even if a string did break, it wouldn't throw the out thing out.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I feel like I did the same thing on my Jaguar years ago, I reckon it'll be fixable unless something's properly sheared-off