TC Electronic Honey Pot Fuzz

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Fakir Mustache

TC Electronic Honey Pot Fuzz

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I actually got it a week or two ago, bought it new locally because it was cheaper than on the net for some reason.

It doesn't have as much gain as I was hoping, maybe a tad more than a Fuzz Face. I guess it does sound a little like a Russian Muff, but I think they have more gain, although I haven't played one in a very long time but I did build a clone which I still haven't permanently wired and put in a box.

The construction seems o.k. It's very heavy, so heavy I was sure it had a battery inside but didn't. The footswitch is kind of annoying, it doesn't provide any tactile response, click or whatnot. It does have an LED. Supposed to be true bypass, which it possibly is.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I've had my eye on these TC pedals since they first popped up. Silly cheap prices. I've been wanting to replace my entire board and am currently lacking some modulation effects, and these look like a good way to do it.

Here's an interesting thing I read: Behringer's parent company own TC Electronic, and apparently this range of pedals is kind of a replacement for Behringer's dirt cheap range from a decade ago. Which makes sense.

(Ok, yes, I know they're a copy of an old Boss pedal with four push-buttons but what a weird pedal to copy)

Considering the main complaints with the Behringers was the plastic cases and poor bypass (BECAUSE EVERYTHING HAS TO BE TRUE BYPASSSAFADFADFADF), these make alot of sense. They're not like-for-like, but they're attempting to fill that space in the market. They're competing with the likes of Mooer and Joyo, but I guess TC Electronic are more highly regarded by gear snobs.

I'm potentially picking up their rotary speaker or Blood Moon phaser (which I assume is a copy of an EHX Electric Mistress) in the next couple of weeks, so I'll let you know how it is.

Interesting that the footswitch doesn't provide any click though! Weird. I've read that, apparently, the effect engages on the depression, not the initial push. Maybe they used a really weird switch or something.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

The TC Electronic clone of the Behringer clone of the Boss pedal is mono out though. Which somewhat defeats the main selling point of the DC-2.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

It kind of reminded me of the Behringer Vintage Distortion, not the sound but the vibe of the pedal.

On the other hand, the construction is a bit heftier, not only is the case very heavy but there is also a weird thing in the battery compartment which you put the clip into so it won't rattle.

Seems mostly SMT though. With some normal size caps.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I finally got a good sound out of it, I've fixed my only amp with decent distortion.

The trick seems to be to just set the amp to a slight crunch, and the fuzz sustain all the way up, if you want it to sound like a fuzz that is. If you turn the amp distortion too high it'll just sound like amp distortion and not very fuzzy, no matter how the fuzz is set.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
paul_

Post by paul_ »

BearBoy wrote:The TC Electronic clone of the Behringer clone of the Boss pedal is mono out though. Which somewhat defeats the main selling point of the DC-2.
Would imagine no "hold to loop" function on the delay either unless done with one of those horrendous VD-1 style fake switches with unusably bad bypass.

Swing and a miss.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"