Teardrop content - Wiring diagram help

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Teardrop content - Wiring diagram help

Post by ekwatts »

Hello everyone. My name is Eric and I am building a teardrop guitar.

So I finished the scratchplate that will hold the electrics. Hooray! This project was started in 2010. Anyway, I have mounted two humbuckers and have three B500k pots, 2 on/off switches and a jack socket. What I need is some kind of diagram as to how to wire the pickups in the following setup:

2xVol, 1xTone, an on/off switch per pickup.

My wiring knowledge is laughably shit so I can't quite figure out how to do it. Halp me.
Last edited by ekwatts on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Here's where I'm currently at:

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

You tried the Seymour Duncan site for diagrams?

Looks fire btw.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I have one of these with that wiring scheme which I need to take apart to clean and work on soon, will have a go tomorrow and document how it's wired.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

paul_ wrote:Image
OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS
cooter

Post by cooter »

Teardrop looks great. Glad to see you're on the home stretch. I can usually find the diagram I need here.
http://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I don't know about teardrops but I just learned I need to find a copy of Simpsons Scrabble.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Thanks chaps. Just about to drill out the holes for the electronics tonight. The second scratchplate section is mostly done now, just need to mount it.

That SG guitar looks great, what is it? I was thinking of doing a floating Les Paul style pickguard section for the teardrop but decided to just go with a flat-mounted piece again.

Last bits to do now are a piece for the truss rod adjustment cover on the headstock.

Simpsons Scrabble Realtalk:
► Show Spoiler
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

ekwatts wrote:Here's where I'm currently at:

Did you get someone from the US to send you that Guitar Fetish stuff? Their shipping charges seem ridiculous, more than the items themselves.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

It's only the trem from GFS. I picked it up in a sale so it ended up costing less than the original price even with the shipping heaped on. So it wasn't too bad.

The bridge is just a cheapo "Rickenbacker" style bridge from a cheap parts supplier on eBay.

The pickups are Entwistle pickups, they're called Nashvilles, basically just PAF-styles in a faux-filtertron minihum casing. I've stuck them in nearly all my humbucker equivalent guitars at this point. I love em.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

So I drilled the holes, installed the bits....

No wiring yet, because I just realised that I still need to try and sort the grounding out. The bridge sits on a metal plate that is secured with two regular scratchplate screws, so there's no hardware that really goes into the body, so I suspect I'll need to get creative... I was thinking of drilling a small hole that pops up underneath the bridge plate so the ground wire can just rest underneath it, secured once the plate is screwed down fully.

Anyway, hopefully I'll this all soldered up by next weekend.

(low quality instagram picture stolen from Jasmine)
cooter

Post by cooter »

ekwatts wrote:So I drilled the holes, installed the bits....

No wiring yet, because I just realised that I still need to try and sort the grounding out. The bridge sits on a metal plate that is secured with two regular scratchplate screws, so there's no hardware that really goes into the body, so I suspect I'll need to get creative... I was thinking of drilling a small hole that pops up underneath the bridge plate so the ground wire can just rest underneath it, secured once the plate is screwed down fully.

Anyway, hopefully I'll this all soldered up by next weekend.

(low quality instagram picture stolen from Jasmine)

Yep, that's how I did it on my Harmony Bobkat. I have the same bridge you have on yours.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

When wiring grounds, do they all have to touch, or do they have to just touch the pots?
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

ekwatts wrote:When wiring grounds, do they all have to touch, or do they have to just touch the pots?
All grounds must connect.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

If the pots are connected to ground you can ground your pickups to the pots.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Pulled an all-nighter wiring it up the way I thought would work. Plugged it in, aaaaaand.....

Nothing.

I'd started with one pickup switch set to off, one set to on, both volumes and tone rolled up.

It was only when I switched both positions to "off" that I got any sound. Only the bridge appeared to be coming through; Both switches had to be flicked down, while both volumes worked for that one pickup. The tone did nothing at all.

Sooooo, shit.

Guess next time I'll just use an actual schematic instead of trying to be clever and winging it (which, to be fair, I did the first and only time I ever wired a guitar from scratch and it worked perfectly so FFFFUUUUCCCKKK IIIITTTTT).

I'll probably go with 1xVol, 2xTone, 1x3-way switch and a coil tap switch (so I can still use the holes I already drilled) when I attempt it again.