Vintage body hardware

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

landon

Vintage body hardware

Post by landon »

will new hardware fit on a vintage body
Last edited by landon on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

If you're buying the trem as one unit where all the parts are supplied in the bag/box, it doesn't make a lot of difference really. The issue for a newcomer is whether you want the hassle of setting up and maintaining it - they're notoriously tricky in terms of tuning stability. I couldn't get on with it, but ironically have no issues with the Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem at all. It's a personal preference thing for sure. Fitting the trem is just a matter of screwing the mounting plate to the body and dropping in a bridge that can be adjusted to get the string height, spacing and intonation right.

As far as hardtails go, once you've fitted it, it's more maintanence-free - I currently own a Squier mustang with a top-loading hardtail bridge and it's as straightforward as they come. The only issue with the top-loading design though is that it can be fiddly to get the strings through the holes in the bridge plate and up through the saddles when you're restringing.

The through-body alternative is neater still, but you'll need to drill the extra holes through the body and add the ferrules to the back. I've never tried that on a guitar build before, so someone else will have to weigh in and let you know how easy/hard it is.
landon

Post by landon »

gg allin
Last edited by landon on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

It doesn't matter.
landon

Post by landon »

what does not matter? , the bridge matters to me and so does vintage vs modern cut bodies
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The bridge design will have an effect on the sound and playability of the guitar for sure, much moreso than the type of wood it is. The whole cut issue (contours) is entirely up to you. I'm a skinny guy and always found the Mustang small enough to not really need a contour, but almost everyone holds the guitar a little differently.

There's always '60s Competition Mustang bodies?
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
landon

Post by landon »

i prefer the slab style
Last edited by landon on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Apologies I was a cunt in my post. You could use this body and still have a lot of cash leftover to fuck about with other parts.

Link