NPD: Boss OS-2

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Post by NickS »

paul_ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Strikes me as funny that they have the Alt switch on the right.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

:lol:
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:The OS-2 is one of my favourite dirt pedals.

There's a lot of useable sounds on it and whilst you probably can dial in SD1 and DS1 sounds I think it's a pedal in its own right.
I like the settings in between the two effects, which gives more saturation than the SD1 and more clarity than the DS1.

I believe Joey Santiago used one for a while in the Pixies and I can't knock his tone on any recording.
Just won one of these on teh ebay - though I'd try it out as it has the Fran seal of approval and two of my top three dirt pedals are Boss. Looking forward to some new noise.
Last edited by dezb1 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
XY
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

dezb1 wrote:

There's a lot of useable sounds on it and whilst you probably can dial in SD1 and DS1 sounds I think it's a pedal in its own right.
I like the settings in between the two effects, which gives more saturation than the SD1 and more clarity than the DS1.

I believe Joey Santiago used one for a while in the Pixies and I can't knock his tone on any recording.
Just won one of these on teh ebay - though I'd try it out as it has the Fran seal of approval and two of my top three dirt pedals are Boss. Looking forward to some new noise.
I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially given you already like Boss pedals.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Really can't go wrong with Boss. My go-to pedals right now are the RV-6 and the CE-2b (per ultratwin's recommendation). I'm looking to pick up an HF-2 and maybe another Boss reverb or delay.

I used to have an all Boss and EHX board from the early 2000s until it was stolen out of my car in 2009. Sad, sad day.

Should be said that my go-to OD pedal nowadays is the Fredric Effects Zombie Klone, but that's just a damn fine pedal.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:
dezb1 wrote:

I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially given you already like Boss pedals.

Well you were right Fran got the OS-2 today and it's great - definitely a keeper. I knew I liked my HM-2 and big muff as soon as I plugged them in and I'm having the same reaction to this thing, the overdrive and distortion are two totally different but blendable sounds can't believe I'd never heard of these... proper sleeper pedal.
XY
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

I'm sure I used to have one of these ages ago. That and a ce-3 I think
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
George

Post by George »

George wrote:My first dirt pedal. I've come back to it a few times and will again.
I did. A few months after this thread I think :lol:

I'm currently using it as an always on "tone improver" or slight boost

Volume - around noon
Tone - zero
Gain - zero
Colour - 2-3pm

It cuts a bit of bass and adds gain, highs and some soft mids. I'd use terms like "glassy" "chirpy" and "sweet sounding", especially on the neck pickup. If there was a pedal that delivered this exact kind of sound (with gain/tone sweeps focused on that instead of the massive bumpy sweeps of the OS2) and cleaned up a little better with guitar volume I'd pay a fair bit.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

George wrote:
George wrote:My first dirt pedal. I've come back to it a few times and will again.
I did. A few months after this thread I think :lol:

I'm currently using it as an always on "tone improver" or slight boost

Volume - around noon
Tone - zero
Gain - zero
Colour - 2-3pm

It cuts a bit of bass and adds gain, highs and some soft mids. I'd use terms like "glassy" "chirpy" and "sweet sounding", especially on the neck pickup. If there was a pedal that delivered this exact kind of sound (with gain/tone sweeps focused on that instead of the massive bumpy sweeps of the OS2) and cleaned up a little better with guitar volume I'd pay a fair bit.
i've been using a klone as an always on base sound recently, just a bit of grit and little treble reduciton to stop it being shrill.

i've also realised that i used to have a turbo overdrive not a os-2.

bet mike would be able to make you a tweaked os-2 circuit.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST