Incoming NGD. Venus

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

You can see the original Mercury in a few Hole videos:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

paul_ wrote:
Fran wrote: Given the connection, never been able to figure out if it's Courtneys take on Kat Bjellands Rickenbacker or the design is just weird for the sake of being weird.
It’s very closely modeled on some independent guitar builders’ thing that Courtney Love ended up with during early Hole.
Noirie. wrote:And here it is
► Show Spoiler
That Tim George guy showed up on OSG about 5 years ago as "Clickeye". He and Danny were going to restart making Mercurys but it all seem to fizzle out.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

So, the one and only update.

It arrived and I didn't like the neck. The pickups were meh, standard 90s MIJ Fender stuff, and the tuners needed to be replaced.

I listed it for sale at the same price I paid and sold it locally, instead of having to drive back to guitar center to return it to. Ironically, I sold it to the same guy I sold my Danelectro Dead on 67 to.

Damn it was pretty though. Very clean and original. Just not for me.

Also, I let my nephew jam on it - he loved it, but I couldn't take the financial hit to give it to him.

In other news, the replenishment of my GAS budget has been transferred to the car parts budget. I bought some new parts for my Subaru.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

It's always interesting how subjective all this stuff can be; the neck is my favorite thing about the Venus! It's cool that you got to try it out at least
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

BillClay wrote:It's always interesting how subjective all this stuff can be; the neck is my favorite thing about the Venus! It's cool that you got to try it out at least
Exactly. If I only wanted it because it's a pretty guitar, I'd have kept it. But I couldn't get along with the neck, so away it went.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10