Classic 90s multi fx

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote:
Bacchus wrote:That would be a deposit on a house back then, mind.
It was a real important decision to make in the 90s; do you want a booooring house or a SWEET-ASS STEP FILTER GOING THROUGH A BRIT STACK MODEL
I wouldn't know. My parents couldn't even dream of ever owning their own compact multi effects pedal.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Still got this, besides reverb it has some good delay settings, but the chorus and flanger isn't the greatest.
Good for teh Shoegazes.

I remember the 505 well, I think everyone bought one. Same with the Korg G1, which was much better imo.

The worst one I owned was a Dod Tech FX7, proper bag o'shite that was. The Tec pedals weren't much better either.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

loooole, I never realised DOD did a "grunge"-branded model too, I remember the FX7 tho:

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Jesus, they were garbage.

I don't like the later Digitech RP series either.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote:I wouldn't know. My parents couldn't even dream of ever owning their own compact multi effects pedal.
:lol:
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I do remember Hughes and Kettner amps being de rigueur with the nu-metal crowd. I always wondered what happened to them, because they were everywhere for a while. They occupied a weird space in the market where they were shite solid state amps but they were still too expensive for all of my crowd.

I remember reading reviews about of their solid state models and how, on account of them being voiced bassily and reasonably powerful, the clean channel was actually surprisingly good and possibly a good shout for jazz. I've always wondered if they would become a bit of a sleeper amp,
NickS

Post by NickS »

Rob Prog has had a couple of H & K. He wasn't impressed.
http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61709
Progrockabuse wrote:So guys, as you know I've had a couple of Hughes and kettners. My main one died at practice about 3 weeks ago. The tube management circuit went crazy and then the amp cut out. I had it sent to Hughes and kettner for repair, as its four months old. They emailed me back stating that it was the tubes at fault and would have to pay £210 for it to be repaired. I know tubes are classed as a consumable to some degree, but on a 4 month old amp I felt it was a little rough. The dealer I got it from agreed and are in contact with Hughes and kettner to resolve this. As a backup, I grabbed an 18 watt version for £200 to use for some gigs and practices. This died after ten minutes into band practice. Promptly returned it and got my money back as they didn't have anything else in stock. I'm now starting to question h&k reliability, especially with gigs coming up.
I'm thinking of ditching the whole lot and getting something better or at least a different brand backup.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The Warp 7. That was the one.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Well it eats batteries done a new battery in in a couple of hours. Ordered a power supply from teh ebay
XY
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Some of the newer H&K amps I’ve heard sound good. Know a bunch of guys who used to regularly gig in a metal band in the late 90s and they used H&K and loved them
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

dezb1 wrote:Well it eats batteries done a new battery in in a couple of hours. Ordered a power supply from teh ebay
Anything with time effects usually does.

Besides that, what are your general thoughts?

I'm sure that pedal was the first time the step phaser became widely available.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

The step phaser is fun but I don't think I'd have a use for it. The modulation fx are average but usable. I'm enjoying the naff over the top digital distortions - it's fun, worth a tenner and I'm pretty sure one of the afore mentioned distortions are going to find their way into a recording - I also made an acoustic like patch that sounds like the guitar on NIN Hurt.
XY
NickD

Post by NickD »

kingkiller wrote:Some of the newer H&K amps I’ve heard sound good. Know a bunch of guys who used to regularly gig in a metal band in the late 90s and they used H&K and loved them
The ones Rob had were newer ones, they sounded great TBH, I had a go on them a few times, but the reliability wasn't there.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickS wrote:
Bacchus wrote:I wouldn't know. My parents couldn't even dream of ever owning their own compact multi effects pedal.
:lol:
+2