Bevelled fretboard

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

Bevelled fretboard

Post by sunshiner »

I bought a strat neck some time ago. I went into a local shop and saw the owner sitting with it and a big file in his hands beveling fret ends at approximately 45 degree angle. I asked him what he was doing, he said he was fixing it. This same person had once sold a guitar to my acquaintance like 3 times cheaper than it was originally because "it didn't work". My acquaintance brought the guitar home, took a pickguard off, in five minutes fixed the wiring and had a brand new guitar for the third of the price...

So I bought that neck for cheap and threw it under my bed. Now that I'm looking at it I see that the dude not just overbevelled fret ends, he also dug rather deeply into the fretboard and now it has bevelled edges (in places up to 2 mm deep into the fretboard). I thought about building a project out of it sometimes, but now I'm not sure. In theory if I change frets, there'll still be some fret space for strings to sit on, but I think higher and lower Es will slip out anyway while playing.

Have you ever had an experience of playing guitars with bevelled fretboard edges? Was it a problem?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

I guess it depends how extreme it is. Normally a bevelled fretboard feels really nice. It's something that happened over time, and is often recreated. Old fashioned way of doing it is with the shaft of a screwdriver. Back and forth between each fret.

Have you got any pics of how much bevelling is on the board?
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

In my case it's bevelled all along the edge on both sides, not just between frets. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow and upload. The bad thing is when you look at it the dark rosewood board somehow conceals the slant, from most angles it's almost invisible. Some feaking miracle, but it's there. I hope I'll catch it on camera
paul_

Post by paul_ »

To clarify, I think sunshiner has an unwanted third edge between the top of the fretboard and the side of the neck created by overzealous fret-end sanding, not the ol' "rolled edges" motif where they round the edge of the fretboard over so it's a more comfy grip.

i.e. someone has done this but too heavy handed

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

^^^Yes, that's absolutely right. I didn't have time to create an account on some image uploader (since the photobucket screwed everything) to poast a picture
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Hm, scallop it?

Or make it a lap steel guitar?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I can't play that well tbh. I'm on my quest for a perfect guitar to play Wonderwall. For a super smooth transithion between Em7 and G
NickS

Post by NickS »

sunshiner wrote:I'm on my quest for a perfect guitar to play Wonderwall.
:lol: :lol:
George

Post by George »

sunshiner wrote:I can't play that well tbh. I'm on my quest for a perfect guitar to play Wonderwall. For a super smooth transithion between Em7 and G
Follow your dreams
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

NickS

Post by NickS »

That's not a unicorn, it's a Photoshopped donkey.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

NickS wrote:That's not a unicorn, it's a Photoshopped donkey.
How rude of you. I'd never tell anyone that his unocorn was just a Photoshopped donkey

► Show Spoiler
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

sunshiner wrote:
NickS wrote:That's not a unicorn, it's a Photoshopped donkey.
How rude of you. I'd never tell anyone that his unocorn was just a Photoshopped donkey

► Show Spoiler
Only on Thursday
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Thursday is a blessed day