I don't need this..

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

I don't need this..

Post by NickS »

I have absolutely no need for this and my painting skills are lacking and yet this calls to my (rock) dinosaur brain.... £150?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Four humbuckers, two tune-o-matic bridges, two necks and an enlarged body. This thing must weigh... 2 tons
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Complete no-brainer. Get it bought.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
NickS

Post by NickS »

sunshiner wrote:Four humbuckers, two tune-o-matic bridges, two necks and an enlarged body. This thing must weigh... 2 tons
You forgot 4 neck plates :shock:
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

NickS wrote:
sunshiner wrote:Four humbuckers, two tune-o-matic bridges, two necks and an enlarged body. This thing must weigh... 2 tons
You forgot 4 neck plates :shock:

:shock:
► Show Spoiler
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

gusman2x wrote:Complete no-brainer. Get it bought.
Definitely this
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Yesssss.

Don't bother painting it, stain it and oil it.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

They are notoriously heavy. Some of the '70s ones when they first ditched Honduran mahogany were like 15lbs. Even the hardshell cases for them are competitive with the weight of modern Teles/LPs.

It was either Marnie Stern or Alex Lifeson that I read say in an interview if you have one strapped on and actually raise them up for the Jimmy Page poses they sort of send you staggering a few steps in the opposite direction.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

The weight would worry me a bit too, but those kit builds probably don't use the same wood for the bodies as branded guitars. I doubt that it would be the same sort of mahogany as a Gibson or an Epi.

The kit-built JM I bought second-hand for instance is noticeably lighter than my CIJ, despite the body shape and thickness being very similar. So yeah. It's gonna be heavy, but maybe not as bad as it looks?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Concretebadger wrote:The weight would worry me a bit too, but those kit builds probably don't use the same wood for the bodies as branded guitars. I doubt that it would be the same sort of mahogany as a Gibson or an Epi.
If that guitar is even trying to be mahogany is a whole other discussion, but in my experience cheaper "mahogany" guitars are usually heavier, not lighter. This is not always the case with Fender style bodies because a lot of alder alternatives are lighter than alder. A lot of bolt-on kits like that use maple necks too, which adds more weight to the Gibson-type designs.

Epis are generally heavier than Gibsons these days, partly due to having thicker bodies on the SGs and no weight relief on the LPs but also because aren't technically made out of mahogany anymore, they use laminated Lauan which is sometimes referred to as "Phillipine mahogany" but not the same genus/species of woods used for mahogany guitars. It's a plywood made from a gigantic southeast Asian rainforest flowering plant genus (tall skinny trees) known as Shorea. Epiphone just still list it as mahogany because toanwudz.

This is more a cost issue than a sustainability one; a majority of the 196 species of tree that fall under Shorea are critically endangered, but most import "mahogany" guitars are made from them these days.
Another common name for this wood is Meranti: while the name Lauan is commonly used when referring to plywood made of this type of wood. (It's also frequently called Philippine Mahogany, though Meranti/Lauan bears no relation to what is considered to be “true� mahogany in the Swietenia and Khaya genera.)
You see this a lot in the import guitar industry. Squier don't use anything like the maple used to make American Fender necks (and they're now rolling out "Laurel" fingerboards made of laminate fig tree wood), and there are about 20 different variants of lime trees referred to as "basswood" by guitar manufacturers.

On their red SG-type guitars nowadays, Epiphone use a veneer of nicely grained mahogany on the front for the benefit of the translucent cherry finish, which is easy to spot at the bevels. My 2004 MIK EB-3 is like that and you see it a lot on DIY kit SGs too (though I can only find an example with a flamed maple top, the construction is the same)

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
NickS

Post by NickS »

Weight is definitely a big consideration as I do get problems with a nerve in my left shoulder. Someone offered me an Ibanez double-neck a while back and 1. It was heavy 2. There was a neck pocket crack 3. I wasn't convinced it was actually his; so I didn't go for it.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

There's also a thing with wood that all different parts of a trunk weigh differently. Closer to the root density of the wood is much higher than in the middle part of it and boards made of that part are usually much heavier. One and the same tree can really give feather weight boards and the ones weighing a ton. Or you can have a whole tree with very dense and heavy wood.

Among the cheap guitars and kits paulonia wood seem to make the lightest guitars, though I had a paulonia strat that was easily the heaviest guitar I had.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I had a paulownia Strat body that was nice and light but unfortunately whenever I was around it I'd feel weak and couldn't fly anymore.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

NickS wrote:Weight is definitely a big consideration as I do get problems with a nerve in my left shoulder.
Might be worth thinking about rigging up some sort of double shoulder strap or belt strap for this. I'm sure I've seen them.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Fuck spending seventy quid on a strap though.