GASing very hard for a AS/AD toronado

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

was never a fan of the ginormous pickguards on the base model toronados. jazzmasters have a more elegant shape to theirs that follows the contours of the body, but the rounded toronado shape doesn't suit that approach, imho. plus FUCK pizza tort, hate that shit.
sunshiner wrote:
dots wrote:Link says it no longer exists when I click, but I do know the GT models are pretty sick... still, that color with the pickups are what I'm after. Plus, its Gibson scale (24.75") so pretty unique for a fender. Kick myself still every time I think about having sold mine...
If you can live without Toronado body shape and want 24.75 scale. You can order a Warmoth strat 24.75 conversion neck for around $250-270, throw it in a cheap strat and have a little rawker that you can upgrade with any pickups you want. There are various specs for their necks, I'd personally go with a 59 rounded profile, 6105 medium frets and their standard 10-16 compound fretboard radius. You can also look for used ones as they might be significantly cheaper, but at the same time their specs might be not suitable for your likings
yeah, totally doable, but for me it's about the entire package -- offset body, contours, neck, electronics, color, feature accents. i always found the toggle location much preferable to the jm location. always have had a love/hate relationship with jag controls, too: love the way they look and the tonal options, but the location is suspect.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Toronado

Imugr doesn’t give me the proper posting options on my phone (COD it’s shit) but this is a Toro for sale locally, same colour only the HH version.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

EBay doesn't throw much up...

MIM Toronado
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thomas wrote:Toronado

Imugr doesn’t give me the proper posting options on my phone (COD it’s shit) but this is a Toro for sale locally, same colour only the HH version.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Cheers Doogster.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

thanks, guys

this one came up this morning, and it ticks most of the boxes (exception being the headstock which i can easily overlook). but $1,650 is a spicy meatball, so ima try and offer a little less and see how far i get...
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

It's ended....did you get it?

Happy birthday btw
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yeah, that was fast, i should have asked for a deeper discount. i chopped off 10% and had him throw in shipping, so under $1.5k delivered w/ hsc. i had a little hesitation at first before i remembered how much the damn things have appreciated in 15+ years (roughly doubled). i don't see them going up that much over the next 10 years or so, but i doubt i wouldn't be able to cover my investment if i had to sell it either...
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

dots wrote:yeah, that was fast, i should have asked for a deeper discount. i chopped off 10% and had him throw in shipping, so under $1.5k delivered w/ hsc. i had a little hesitation at first before i remembered how much the damn things have appreciated in 15+ years (roughly doubled). i don't see them going up that much over the next 10 years or so, but i doubt i wouldn't be able to cover my investment if i had to sell it either...
NGD Thrad incoming?
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Getting yourself nice presents that you really want and can afford is a great thing. Standard Toronados are offered for not less than a grand, with hsc and shipping the deal's totally worth it. It seems it'll be delivered exactly in time for your birthday
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks awesome btw. A 50's Les Paul Special in Fender's interpretation
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

kingkiller wrote:
dots wrote:yeah, that was fast, i should have asked for a deeper discount. i chopped off 10% and had him throw in shipping, so under $1.5k delivered w/ hsc. i had a little hesitation at first before i remembered how much the damn things have appreciated in 15+ years (roughly doubled). i don't see them going up that much over the next 10 years or so, but i doubt i wouldn't be able to cover my investment if i had to sell it either...
NGD Thrad incoming?
mayhaps... haven't posted one in ages. then again, haven't gotten any new gear in over three years, so...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

sunshiner wrote:It seems it'll be delivered exactly in time for your birthday
that's the great thing about my birthday :lol:

and yeah, always liked the blend of influences on these guitars. when they were first released, there was a bit of criticism as to whether they were real fender given all the gibson'esque styling and setup, but fender is at its best when the designs are creative instead of stuck in the 50s. i much prefer them creating something different with a new name as opposed to carving up an existing design and just slapping model number on it (the jaguars they were pumping out with almost zero jag features never sat well with me).

EDIT: okay, paydd. should be arrive in time to bring to albq for a full test run. if this thing sounds like shit, ima be mad lol
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Badman. Congrats.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Well done dot, positive move and not following the crowd.

Look forward to pics and demo.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

thanks, fran(the man) and noire! it's funny how i complained about the rarity in the OP only to have one show up in less than 10 days. if i see a glut of them next week for half price, i know there's a mole here trying to DESTROY ME
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nice wan!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

dots wrote:thanks, fran(the man) and noire! it's funny how i complained about the rarity in the OP only to have one show up in less than 10 days. if i see a glut of them next week for half price, i know there's a mole here trying to DESTROY ME
heh-heh-heh...

► Show Spoiler
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

you sonofabitch, doug...

dots wrote:EDIT: okay, paydd. should be arrive in time to bring to albq for a full test run.
yeah this was inaccurate, and it won't be here by tomorrow. i should learn to read a calendar (or book, or book of calendars).
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I’m glad you managed to find one. It’s a rare old bird.