New Crate Powerblock & OD/Dist Pedals sample I made

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

hey thanks for doing tha mike!
its nuts how well it sounds..at the moment one amp does me, but heck if i was giging i reckon i would get one just for ease(once i have a guitar and my huge pedal board a small amp would be very welcome!)
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Downloading now.

As far as the Rat goes, yeah I get that too, after about 1-2 o'clock on the Dist knob all just sounds the same, and mine is from '86. Though I like the Rat only at about 10-11 o'clock, anything more than that is too much. I built a second heavily-modified Rat with more volume to push it harder if need be. Reason for this, is that after a certain point the opamp in there gets pushed as far as it will go, and just increasing the gain any more can't push it any harder, so it sounds the same. Many of the older ones used 150k pots for the Dist, whereas 100k is really all that you're going to get out of it with the low resistance in to ground in that feedback loop.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Hurb wrote:hey thanks for doing tha mike!
its nuts how well it sounds..at the moment one amp does me, but heck if i was giging i reckon i would get one just for ease(once i have a guitar and my huge pedal board a small amp would be very welcome!)
No probs, for a little cheap thing it really does sound great
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Awesome Mike. I know that mine is waiting for me at home when I get back from my parents' tomorrow - can't wait to try it out.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Cheers man, you'll love it. Have fun!
Dingus

Post by Dingus »

Just wanted to 2nd the Roland Jazz Chorus as an amazing clean amp, that takes to all pedals pretty damn well.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Mike wrote:Cheers man, you'll love it. Have fun!
I've been playing with the Crate for the past hour or so and it's loads of fun! Sounds pretty damn good for what it is. Put it through the S804 Gold Back speaker that's in my Valvestate combo - looking forward to taking it to practice Saturday to try it a proper volumes.

Also put it through headphones and that will be a godsend - no messing about with amps/speakers again for a quick practice at home.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I've always found that a Jazz Chorus sounds shrill and nasty with overdrive pedals.

Glad you like it Thom - the missus was especially enamoured by the headphone socket - she was chastising me for another purchase until she realised that it had one
Tex-czech

Post by Tex-czech »

mike you notice how the volume, rises at a constant rate and then at about 2 o clock or so the volume double or triples even? Its just the type of viable resistors (potientiometers) used. Maybe using the gian to adjust is the key. Other then that what an amp for the money, I bet you use it for practice, what a load off toten around heads and combos.

Plus I never got to throw a pedal (dist, overdrive) on it, thanks alot.
I know my girlfriend would love one, as would I. :lol:

99 bucks gosh.
-Joe
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The volume on my power block increases in a fairly normal way - are you saying they used a linear potentiometer instead of a logarithmic (audio) pot? That doesn't sound right, since a linear pot has a large volume increase between the first few turns and then a less discernable difference thereafter.

Fender put a linear pot on the Master Volume of the Hot Rod series of amps to make them appear very loud in guitar shops - because at 2 the amp is effectively full bore. It's cynical and stupid and it makes the control very twitchy.

As with any amp that contains a Gain and Volume control it is a balance of raising the two to attain the sound and volume you're after. You need a little gain to get max Clean output.

I still use my combo for practise but for small gigs and for headphone practice at home it's a winner.
Tex-czech

Post by Tex-czech »

well, you're right an audio pot is used. There would be no need to do what they do to Fender tube amps. I was just saying some viable resistors tend to increase their value dramaticly at the end of rotation (turning it up). I guess that has to do with an audio pot as aposed to a linear.

umm like, not the type of component used (audio v.s. linear) but just how the value is rolled out. does that make sence?

Its kinda why I changed to CTS from cheap jap pots in a guitar they tend to turn the volume up at a constant rate instead of just blowing up all of a sudden.
-Joe
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

What settings did you use on the FAB OD?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The Level was adjusted to be level with clean tone more orless and the tone was somewhere around the middle of the sweep. I just messed around until it sounded right to my ears.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

ok but i did find the sound a bit muddy in mine. The tuna melt is ace though, as exciting as a trem can probably be without having some cool graphics on it.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Can someone email me this sample please as I want to pass it on to someone?

Pm me if you can help.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Sorry Mike I don't have it any more.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Buggeration
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

sh#t, i really REALLY wanted to hear this sample, but it's all expired.

anyone still got it?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I'll reupload it for you.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »