New Crate Powerblock & OD/Dist Pedals sample I made

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

hey thanks so soo much Mike, for re-uploading and for doing the demo in the first place. I've been interested in all the pedals you demoed there, so i had to hear it.

Oddly enough that's kinda killed my GAS for a RAT. the more i hear them, the more i don't like them - very high and midrangey, not enough bass, plus the distortion sounds un-natural to my ears. Though of course i could be totally wrong.

Also I'm on the market for an overdrive (at the moment i use my FAB distortion with gain on 0), and the OD-3 blew me away. really nice and natural sounding on the lower settings - almost certainly going to try and pick one of those up. I'll probably have a look at the FAB overdrive too, cos it's so cheap, though i wasn't amazed by it's sound.

Hey you were a really good host btw! Nice playing, you even made RATM sound good! :P
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I would attribute some of your nonplussedness to the fact that was a SS head - I'd definitely try a RAT out through a nice tube amp first before disregarding it - it's a really versatile pedal. I just can't kick mine off the board despite having a three channel amplifier.

The OD-3 is a really nice box, excels at both light and full-on Overdrive, I can't recommend it enough. I'm also a big FAB Overdrive fan - for the money it cannot be beat.

And no problem on uploading again, I'm pleased that people can get something out of my demos.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

aphasiac wrote: Oddly enough that's kinda killed my GAS for a RAT. the more i hear them, the more i don't like them - very high and midrangey, not enough bass, plus the distortion sounds un-natural to my ears. Though of course i could be totally wrong.
I reckon they suit singlecoils a lot better than humbuckers. The high mids make them very Marshally in tone so suit those amps great.

The popular Ruetz mod (10 second resistor snip mod) cleans up the pedal a little bit and improves the low end, especially in the lower gain settings.

They're not for everyone but I really fuckin' love my RAT2.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Doog wrote:They're not for everyone but I really fuckin' love my RAT2.
True enough. Extremely Marshall-esque though, it can do a very good impression of my crunch channel when played through my clean, just lacking a tiny bit in amplike umpf but nothing that any nonguitar geek would be able to notice. I use mine with a humbucker-loaded guitar and like the sound, but I'll let you know how the Jazzmaster takes to it in upcoming weeks.