La Baye 2x4 inspired DevoCaster!!! (CLOWN FREE ZONE)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

brainfur

La Baye 2x4 inspired DevoCaster!!! (CLOWN FREE ZONE)

Post by brainfur »

a couple weeks ago I got re-obsessed with the 2x4 guitar that Bob 1 played in Devo [youtube][/youtube]
Article and Video here

Eastwood make a Devo signature copy which solves a lot of the problems of the original (selector switch on the bottom) but I can't justify paying $800 for something that just looks cool-- I haven't loved the eastwoods I've seen in person.

So I thought-- why not just make my own? I'm attracted to the minimalism of the 2x4 body so I'm gonna try to make this as minimal as I can with a single pickup and a tele bridge since the guitar I play the most is still the trashy esquire I made from parts

Cooter has graciously crafted this beautiful alder plank and it is on its way to me now!

I am still shopping for necks-- since I don't want it to have a fender neck and all the necks I own are fender shaped. Is there a better source for necks than warmoth? their prices seem good and they offer a lot of headstock options. My body craves this banana headstock but I know its a sin Image
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Digging the build (and lack of clowns)
XY
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

What about those Starcaster arrow headstocks?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Fakir Mustache wrote:What about those Starcaster arrow headstocks?
That would be a really neat option, they're not terrible necks either if you're trying to keep costs down.

Excited for this build, have you decided on a color or keeping it natural?
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

Nick wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:What about those Starcaster arrow headstocks?
That would be a really neat option, they're not terrible necks either if you're trying to keep costs down.

Excited for this build, have you decided on a color or keeping it natural?
yeah if i can find a starcaster neck I would do that-- the starcasters I see on ebay right now are full guitars and I dont need more parts laying around!!!!

I am thinking about either painting it Gold or Green? not sure yet
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Green - always fancied getting a green guitar.
XY
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

Here it is with a neck and bridge just to get an idea of the proportions
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

It'll be a travesty if you don't do a banana headstock - it'll balance the shape of the guitar out nicely too.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

benecol wrote:It'll be a travesty if you don't do a banana headstock - it'll balance the shape of the guitar out nicely too.
agreed-- its not gonna have a jazzmaster neck on the finished guitar dont worry!

update: i decided to try out this pickup since its cheap and new

supposedly its different from the old GFS gold foil knockoff but we shall see!
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

I've decided against the warmoth neck because 2 piece maple necks piss me off! I have a jackson neck that I could use but its about 2mm thick for the neck pocket-- I guess that means I am in the market for a ebay neck
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

UNsexy progress pics, just to keep me honest about finishing htis in a timely fashion:
Image grain filler (probably to much grain filler?)

Image neck acquired (from a Rhandy Rhoads V). Even warmoth maple banana necks are 2-piece (ie. no skunk stripe, and theres no way i'm paying $200 bucks to be annoyed every time I look down at it. I guess I have to find a OG kramer neck to get a solid maple banana neck? The heel is about 1mm to fat for a strat neck pocket.

Image ...so i'm sanding it to fit
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

UK parts dealer, also you need to get one of their roller nuts for it:
http://www.chguitars.co.uk/necks/banana/nk4-banana-maple-guitar-neck-maple-fingerboard-22-fret.html
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

Fakir Mustache wrote:UK parts dealer, also you need to get one of their roller nuts for it:
http://www.chguitars.co.uk/necks/banana/nk4-banana-maple-guitar-neck-maple-fingerboard-22-fret.html
that's nto a 1 piece neck either-- the fretboard is a maple slab that's glued on.

if you look closely at this picture u can see the fretboard is a different piece Image
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

update: ordered a chinese maple banana neck for $30, got email saying they are out of maple, will rosewood fretboard be ok.

anyone have experience with these necks?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I've been tempted by those necks (or similar ones in the price range/related list) but haven't tried one yet. My exprience with the cheapest of the cheap chinese stuff as far as necks are concerned would lead me to believe that it won't play 100% perfectly (i.e. nice action without any fretting out anywhere) without a bit of once-over fretwork, but once you make it into a guitar and are continually playing it/refining the set-up you may get lucky with the way it settles without having to do a full-on leveling.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

want to know how that pickup works out dude.

if its awesome, its going into my squier esquier
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

rob bro the pickup whips

i put the one i ordered for this project into my main telecaster and i've ordered ANOTHER one for this bad boy

paul_, the neck is... really good for $30, but the frets needed a dressing and some sanding was needed to get it into the pocket
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

just realised I never posted any pics of the finished guitar-- has a random ceramic pup right now but I am going to put another GFS metal foil pickup in when it arrives
edit: this is also my first time fucking with the GFS "kwikplug" system-- its very cool and makes pickup swapping so fast!
spray paint finish, of course. the amazing thing is how well balanced the body is-- its suuuper comfy to play!

Thanks again Cooter
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Love it!

I thought the headstock was white in the first pic, which would have looked really neat. Not that it doesn't already.

Also trim your strings :lol:
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

Nick wrote:Love it!

I thought the headstock was white in the first pic, which would have looked really neat. Not that it doesn't already.

Also trim your strings :lol:
O shit that would look cool. A white headstock maybe I'll paint it since it's a $30 neck I can't really ruin it lol