Incoming synth: Roland HS60 (Juno 106)

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Incoming synth: Roland HS60 (Juno 106)

Post by Nick »

The band I joined on synth is going well...although I love the sound of the RS09 for this project I decided I wanted something with more flexibility as we start writing new songs. Been looking at Junos for ages but never had a good excuse to spend close to what they were going for.

Last night I found myself on GC's website, choosing between a clean 106 with case for $1300 and a clean HS60 (a Juno 106 with speakers designed more for the home market) for $900. Finally decided to just finance the 106 with the GC Gear Card but got spangled and it was gone.

So out of spite I ordered the HS60 and saved $400. Doesnt look as cool but is functionally identical to the 106, plus the speakers might actually come in handy for living room practice. Am excite!
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Sweet **happy**
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

An demo?
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I'm really behind on my commitment to an demos. Will try, maybe do a stacked demo of the RS09 and the HS60.

Also this thing is coming from a GUITAR CENTER so there's always a good chance it could arrive with broken voice chips, dead battery, who knows.

Should have it in a few days.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Nick wrote:I'm really behind on my commitment to an demos. Will try, maybe do a stacked demo of the RS09 and the HS60.

Also this thing is coming from a GUITAR CENTER so there's always a good chance it could arrive with broken voice chips, dead battery, who knows.

Should have it in a few days.
I wouldn’t be shocked if the box came empty. You’re a New Yorker, isn’t Sam Ash based there? What’s your opinion on them? I prefer them to GC
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The closest one is 2 1/2 hours from me. Only time I've actually been to one was at FLBQ. My opinions were they seemed maybe better for new stuff, especially deals on their house brand stuff and exclusives but they don't seem to be as big on used gear as GC.

On the other hand I have a guitar center 5 minutes from my house should I need to dump this box full of packing peanuts and hot garbage if they try to full a fast one on me.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

we went in sam ash?

lol ? really ?

was that the place in the mall that we drove 2 hours to get to then entered the mall on one end, and walked 2 hours to the other end and it was FUCKIN EMPTY.
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

JUST SAYIN' ID DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

FLBQ FUCKIN RULED THE ENTIRE TIME
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

robroe wrote:we went in sam ash?

lol ? really ?

was that the place in the mall that we drove 2 hours to get to then entered the mall on one end, and walked 2 hours to the other end and it was FUCKIN EMPTY.
If it was the BRANDON WESTFIELD MALL (Shad confirm pls) then that was Music World 28 (wtf kind of name is that) and they have since closed down.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I think Shad, Doog and I visited the Sam Ash the day before your flight came in. We shredded some 🅱�anjos and I played an oversized mariachi guitar.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Nick wrote:The closest one is 2 1/2 hours from me. Only time I've actually been to one was at FLBQ. My opinions were they seemed maybe better for new stuff, especially deals on their house brand stuff and exclusives but they don't seem to be as big on used gear as GC.

On the other hand I have a guitar center 5 minutes from my house should I need to dump this box full of packing peanuts and hot garbage if they try to full a fast one on me.
The closest one to me is about an hour, in Palm Harbor (or maybe its considered Clearwater that far out idk) but I'd agree. They've had some decent used stuff but GC seems to have more in the way of used guitars, Sam Ash always seemed to have more used amps or cabs.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

kingkiller wrote:

lol ? really ?

If it was the BRANDON WESTFIELD MALL (Shad confirm pls) then that was Music World 28 (wtf kind of name is that) and they have since closed down.
yeah that place sucked. Still kinda bummed I didn't get to sneak into the R U GAME.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Nick wrote:
kingkiller wrote:

lol ? really ?

yeah that place sucked. Still kinda bummed I didn't get to sneak into the R U GAME.
They have some cool shit in there. Physical ROM hack carts n shit like that.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

kingkiller wrote:
Nick wrote:
kingkiller wrote: If it was the BRANDON WESTFIELD MALL (Shad confirm pls) then that was Music World 28 (wtf kind of name is that) and they have since closed down.
They have some cool shit in there. Physical ROM hack carts n shit like that.
I went to the one in the strip mall which is where I got that Sega Saturn dating sim if you were there for that haha.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

The Brandon Mall RUG GAME closed because Nick didn't go in.

The Sam Ash that roober didn't go to is fine tho.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

theshadowofseattle wrote:The Brandon Mall RUG GAME closed because Nick didn't go in.

The Sam Ash that roober didn't go to is fine tho.
R U GAEM DED? RIP
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

R U HENTAI DATING SEGA ?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

theshadowofseattle wrote:The Brandon Mall RUG GAME closed because Nick didn't go in.
F
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Also the Juno is scheduled to be here tomorrow.... :!: :!: :!:

Still half expecting it to be broken just because these things are apparently quite fragile. In hindsight I should have probably just bought a Deepmind 12.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

RIP my Roland HS-60.

In short, one of the 6 voices is completely dead. So in POLY 1 mode, every 6th key pressed is silent, until you press a different 5 keys then that 6th key will be silent instead, and so on. In POLY 2 mode, it seems to behave as a 5-note polyphonic keyboard and not a 6. And the secret mono mode works fine no problems, but that's not why anyone buys a Juno.

I called up my local GC, who assured me I could just return it and get a full refund, and didn't make it sound like there was any path to having it repaired at all.

I feel really bad that this keyboard ended up in GC's hands in the first place, since it will likely be destroyed now. I do know sometimes GC will sell broken gear "as-is" for cost. I'm hoping I can persuade them to sell it to me for like $500 instead of bashing it with a hammer and throwing it in a dumpster, so I can at least save this thing or use it for parts for my next Juno. Part of me is put off entirely by how fragile these seem to be, for a keyboard I was hoping to gig and record with. Maybe I should look for a JX3P with a PG200 instead?