Modding Duo-Sonic to hell and back. What is doable?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

GeSe

Modding Duo-Sonic to hell and back. What is doable?

Post by GeSe »

GAS is strong and there's a chance I won't find the guitar I'm looking for (certain CIJ mustang or light! Jagstang). So I keep on looking at 90s Duo-sonics. I'm looking for a light, small offset that also sounds different to the American Vintage TeleSingle-Coil Pickups in my Tele. Love the in and out of phase settings on Mustangs, and want a trem bar. Sound-wise I can't quite yet decide between nice surf-cleans and much more dirty, grungy sounds.

So the question is how much can one do with a duo-sonic and at least the confidence to start a first ever, more complex building project (I'm a techie but never done a guitar)? I guess a Mustang-style bridge won't fit, but I've seen a few photos of Duo-Sonics with Bigsbys (I really dig this look!). More complex wiring for out of phase pickups? The whole switch system and pickguard would need to be changed I guess...

So please talk me out of it. Or tell me it's very much doable :lol:
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

You can just keep the three way toggle switch and wire in a two-way switch for in/out of phase, and after some work to fit it, slap on a Bigsby and you should be set, really.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

daftsupernova wrote:You can just keep the three way toggle switch and wire in a two-way switch for in/out of phase, and after some work to fit it, slap on a Bigsby and you should be set, really.
Actually, that does sound simple, apart from adjusting the pickguard, and possible the body to allow for the other switch I guess. Ugh, so many ideas, so many guitars I'd love to have and so little space at home. :roll:
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Oh gosh! Someone just offered me a 90s Duo Sonic in black with black pickups and switches for 200 Euro in my neighbourhood! It's probably a lot more than US pawnshop prices, but considering pawnshops are not really a thing here and every purchase from abroad would be more like nearly twice this I'm super excited. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see if it works perfectly, and maybe I'll figure out what's been done to the pickups and switches as I can't find anything about black pickup D-S. And if I like it and it looks decent then tomorrow might be NGD
NickS

Post by NickS »

GeSe wrote:Oh gosh! Someone just offered me a 90s Duo Sonic in black with black pickups and switches for 200 Euro in my neighbourhood! It's probably a lot more than US pawnshop prices, but considering pawnshops are not really a thing here and every purchase from abroad would be more like nearly twice this I'm super excited. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see if it works perfectly, and maybe I'll figure out what's been done to the pickups and switches as I can't find anything about black pickup D-S. And if I like it and it looks decent then tomorrow might be NGD
~(bravo)
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

I got it, I got it, I got it! *does happy dance*

Negotiated the owner down a bit. It's close to mint: one tiny ding but no obvious scratches, no fret wear and straight neck. Just lots of dust (outside, inside is fine), and it desperately needs new strings.