New Fender Alternate Reality series

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

New Fender Alternate Reality series

Post by ekwatts »

These popped up as I was searching for a 12 string recently. The actual XII in this range is just a little too pricey for me (though also not totally mad by any means), but I actually quite like the look of the Sixty Six.

http://www.gear4music.com/news/article ... 2019-01-24

I think the Meteora and the Powercaster are awful, but whatevs. Fender still wanna try and push the idea of offset-bodied half-arsed superstrats and it looks like they may never stop. They must be being bought by someone.

The Sixty Six.

The XII.

Powercaster.

Meteora.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
George

Post by George »

Was keen on the xii but the bridge being a standard modern Gotoh stuck on a vintage-shaped backplate feels like too much of a cop out
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

If they had gone with original bridge the guitar must have cost more. They don't produce it and bringing it back for a limited run wouldn't be worth it investment wise. Though they could start making the baseplate again to use it in future runs of Duo Sonics, Toronados and slightly modified in XIIs. By doing things right they can actually divert customers from "boutique" builders by offering cool fully original designs at half of the price for boootique instruments. In short they should keep the mojo preserved

With the Gotoh bridge and the backplate though it looks DIY punky and will find its customer in any way
Last edited by sunshiner on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looked it up XII's and Duo's baseplates are actually different
George

Post by George »

The original xii bridge also has full string-through, not 6 top-loaded, and all saddles are individually sprung and adjustable without individual height, not coupled up (which is a bit of a pain in the arse to set up and intonate). It was also available on early MIJ Strat xiis iirc. I’ve always wanted one but that could be because I’ve not played on one before and it has more mojo arrows.

And yeah I’m aware this is a cost saving measure but this compromise, and getting rid of the rotary selector, is “funny shaped epiphone� territory. It’s almost like they shouldn’t have put the electric xii in with this wack pawnshop alternate realities range of shitty mashups that no one is going to buy.

I’m being sour grapey as fuck about this but bah, I was excited and would have paid the extra.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Saw a modded sixty six up on Reddit.

Swap the neck out for a regular rosewood board Strat one and it looks way better.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Quite like the sixty-six because it’s weird. Won’t have that kind of money to buy one while they’re out though. And the Powercaster speaks to me because it’s exactly what I’d do to a cheap Jazzmaster or Jag after I got bored of having a regular one. I thought the Telemaster from the first Alternate Reality was cool, but all of them end up being a bit too expensive for what they really are.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Naw, these are shite.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

they should make a sweet telebody with a jazzmaster neck and jazzmaster pickups and.....

ohh wait they already made it 10 years ago for only 300 bucks but FENDER IN ITS INFINATE WISDOM DECIDED TO MAKE IT IN TWO COLORS, SHIT BROWN, AND STOMACH FLU SHIT BROWN.

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

That Powercaster makes me think of teh teh's original Jagstang sketch.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Didn’t we have a thread about these six months ago?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

BearBoy wrote:Didn’t we have a thread about these six months ago?
it was winter NAMM 2019 but yes. all this shits been covered :o :o :o

I think they are just starting to roll the fucking things out now after everyone has lost any fucking interest in them though. wheeeeeeeeeee
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

They're pretty "safe" considering what they're meant to be, yeah.

It's kind of sad to think that maybe, at some point during the design of the XII as an example, they may have been throwing around the idea of including the rotary switch, maybe a Jag/Jazz switch plate, and other cool things and then, for the sake of trying to ensure they still managed to shift them to boring wankers, decided to strip all that back and simply give it the split pickups.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

ekwatts wrote:They're pretty "safe" considering what they're meant to be, yeah.

It's kind of sad to think that maybe, at some point during the design of the XII as an example, they may have been throwing around the idea of including the rotary switch, maybe a Jag/Jazz switch plate, and other cool things and then, for the sake of trying to ensure they still managed to shift them to boring wankers, decided to strip all that back and simply give it the split pickups.
They seem to be taking risks in all the wrong directions. Like, rotary switch? Nah that’ll piss off the mojo dudes, but let’s add a bunch of right angles to an offset body (which I think in the original thread where they introduced the Meteora in Summer Namm '18 someone showed was like a straight ripoff of another builder’s design)
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Gah.
I didn’t notice the bridge on the XII until you pointed it out... my excitement for these has dropped significantly. Fuck.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Ankhanu wrote:Gah.
I didn’t notice the bridge on the XII until you pointed it out... my excitement for these has dropped significantly. Fuck.
It's not just the bridge, the body shape also seems to differ a bit from the original if you look at various photos, which may or may not bother some.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

These are so lazy.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Fakir Mustache wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:Gah.
It's not just the bridge, the body shape also seems to differ a bit from the original if you look at various photos, which may or may not bother some.
Those changes don't bother me much; I'm not looking for a Vintage replica exactly, but a good XII with basically classic sound. The split pickups appeal, the 3-way vs. rotary isn't important to me(rotary would be nice, but not a deal breaker), slight changes to body shape, fine... but the bridge I made an assumption that it was fully adjustable, and basically like the original. I hadn't looked that close, I didn't even notice that it's just a standard bridge mounted on top of a plate... that's a big disappointment.

Given the other options out there, though, I'll probably still try to get one. Every other 12-string I've looked at has been a compromise in some way, or way out of my price range. These aren't cheap, but they're not particularly high priced neither.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

cant you just spend 10 bucks and put a rotary in it?

what am I missing here?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Gotoh bridge that is on this guitar is fully adjustable and to my knowledge is the best 12 string bridge out there. Aesthetically it looks like ass on that back plate, maybe without it, it would've looked better. But again, I'd buy a 12 string strat instead rather than buying some guitar that resembles a XII