Germanium fuzz/overdrive CHAT

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I've got two flangers and a delay/reverb on my board at the moment. Going through a Bauhaus/Siousxie/Chameleons/Weirdo fad.
Due to the TT being single channel, I set it to crunch and clean up with the guitar volume, for distortion I boost with a LPB-1.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Been looking for a flexible and sometimes-tasteful fuzz to replace both my beloved Magnetic Effects White Atom and Behringer Superfuzz, and this came on my eBay search.

[youtube][/youtube]
The newest version (that I've ordered) switches that Grit (boost) switch for a tonecut that shaves the nasty highs off the Octave Up

Just did an Buy It Now, can't wait; guy's from the US but living in Berlin so won't get stung with horrible taxes. For now.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Doog wrote:Been looking for a flexible and sometimes-tasteful fuzz to replace both my beloved Magnetic Effects White Atom and Behringer Superfuzz, and this came on my eBay search.

[youtube][/youtube]
The newest version (that I've ordered) switches that Grit (boost) switch for a tonecut that shaves the nasty highs off the Octave Up

Just did an Buy It Now, can't wait; guy's from the US but living in Berlin so won't get stung with horrible taxes. For now.
That sounds fucking nice
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I'm just hoping it doesn't go to shit when it's behind a buffer

I love my White Atom (prototype that I bought from someone on here), but it's sliiiightly lacking lows a bit for me; this just seems more flexible, although the Humdinger's 'texture' control doesn't go quite as 'bitcrush' gated as the White Atom's 'bias'.

The Superfuzz always sounds better and less clangy with a low gain seting going into low gain OD (Atom does this well), so being able to do this in one pedal is perfect.

We'll see!
George

Post by George »

Sonds kool

I have a Fender Blender clone that does the unsympathetic-to-close-intervals thing and it's a bit hard to play because of it but single note riffs and power chords sound amazing.

From the boutique world I really like the look of this "Black Glass" germanium drive. It seems to be somewhere inbetween the two sides of the germanium muff. Sweet and glassy, and does that soft clipping chirpy thing...

[youtube][/youtube]

Bit spendy for me at the moment though.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Got the Humdinger, it's prrrrretty good but I JUST wish the tone control went a bit darker. It's great into a light OD/amp gain (like most fuzzes), but into a totally clean amp it's just a bit too spiky.

We able to shave off these highs with an EQ pedal, which makes the tone control much more usable, so might just add a cap to a patch cable (I use a loop switcher, so it'll only affect the fuzzed tone).

Also just took delivery of a Meris Hedra. Whoops.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: Germanium fuzz/overdrive CHAT

Post by dots »

George wrote:Not anything too fancy as long as it can do the ‘clean-up with guitar volume’ thing. needs to be able to work as a standalone drive so no treble booster/rangemaster types please. Ideally usable as a lower gain drive.
had one of these and gave it to junkbox years and years back. i don't know if he broke it or if it just broke, but he replaced it with a fender blender. completely different tone, but a competitive amount of mojo.
George

Post by George »

“Ultimate OCD� to be released soon (an ocd with germanium diodes :lol: )

http://www.musicradar.com/news/fullton ... uffer_tgfb

Looks like germanium is back on trend again since 2010-2012
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That's cool, but it also sounds a lot like someone ran out of MOSFETs, redesigned the product and enjoyed success, then found a drawer full of old MOSFETS.

I love my OCD.
Fans of Fulltone’s much-cloned OCD circuit will know there are a variety of versions available, but Michael Fuller reckons his latest overdrive pedal is “the ultimate OCD� - meet the CS-OCD-Ge.

Set to be a limited, custom-shop run, the OCD Ge features two MOSFETs, plus two germanium diodes, “a few circuit tweaks� and a metallic teal finish with chrome undercoat.

According to Fuller, the design provides a more tubey feel with a wider dynamic range and more sustain than existing OCD designs.

Early OCDs utilised two MOSFETs and a single germanium diode, so this version promises to hark back to that revered early tone.

The price tag is yet to be confirmed for this one, but release looks likely to be in July. See Fulltone for more info.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Meh. Has anyone tried an SD-1? I’m thinking of buying one.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Was considering one but the man in the shop insisted I buy a MT-2 and gtfo.
George

Post by George »

[youtube][/youtube]

Aen released a germanium diode ECT a month ago. 73 pedals, already sold out :lol: