cannibalizing a Bronco

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

kgf

cannibalizing a Bronco

Post by kgf »

Hi All, new to the forum (sort of). I have a '76 Bronco which I got used in the early 80's for about $100. The poor thing had already been abused by a previous owner: the paint was stripped, so it was natural wood (not so bad, but ruins the originality), the body had been (badly) routed out and a DiMarzio humbucker installed in it (original is gone), the control knobs replaced with after market knobs (originals are gone), the Fender logo removed from the head stock (outline is still visible), and the pickguard was broken. So, I have no qualms about doing things to this guitar. The thing is, I love the neck, but the bridge, nut and tuning heads all combine to create a beast that won't stay in tune for a whole song, and the strings even tend to pop out of the nut during bends. My recent thought has been to attach the neck to a a new body with a better bridge system, replace the tuners and probably the nut as well. At this point you probably have shivers running down your spine from the heresy I'm proposing :D :oops: , but I don't see any other way I'm really going to get any use out of this little guy. I have two sons, both of whom have declined to learn the guitar, and I doubt the guitar has much value in its current state. Anybody have any luck attaching a shortscale neck to a differnt body? Any other thoughts?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Replacement body doesn't sound weird to me, and I would sell the old one. It takes so much intense wood/finish work out of the operation but also, even though that vintage body is in sad shape, it will fetch a lot more money if sold equipped for a Bronco bridge as someone could be buying it for a build/resto project to refinsh and pop a fresh pickguard/singlecoil on, at which point all the hackjob stuff would be sight-unseen. Purely due to the rarity of loose Bronco bodies popping up on eBay (hardly unheard of but not a "5 at a time all year long" affair either) someone might pounce on it for a higher-than-you'd-think BIN.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

If the nut is that bad, it probably wasn't original when you bought it to begin with. Also I don't think collectors really actively look for guitars with original nuts. If the replacement was very poorly cut, then it might be worth less if someone tries it out and hates it.

You could also put some WD40 in the tuners.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

You can throw that neck on any jaguar, mustang, duo sonic, music master, vista jagmaster, or jag stang body and it will drop right in and intonate correctly.
kgf

Post by kgf »

Thanks guys. If I do it, I'll be sure to post pics.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

if you have all of the original parts for the bridge that's giving you trouble, consider having them cleaned up and restored to working order. those things are one of the hardest components to come by if you're trying to build a proper, modern bronco from parts available. from what i have been told, the bronco bridge is incredibly reliable when in working order, so it's worth a shot reviving yours (even if only to later sell).

welcome to the forums!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:if you have all of the original parts for the bridge that's giving you trouble, consider having them cleaned up and restored to working order. those things are one of the hardest components to come by if you're trying to build a proper, modern bronco from parts available. from what i have been told, the bronco bridge is incredibly reliable when in working order, so it's worth a shot reviving yours (even if only to later sell).

welcome to the forums!

mine never goes out of tuen
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Wit capo?