silent recording options

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

silent recording options

Post by dots »

due to lack repair center options in my area, the jvm is still on the fritz, meaning my $2000-overkill method of silent recording is out. i've been getting along going direct into my firepod from the guitar and just letting plugins do the dirty work in cakewalk (the free for which is incredible), but as mentioned in the pub, long-term viability of software is proving dubious. i'd like to check out some moderately priced ($100 - 500) outboard options. i am way more okay with committing my tonal decisions to "tape" than trying to locate working VSTs or approximating equivalent workarounds years later.

i've had digitechs of varying models, a boss gt-6, and even have a line6 toneport st. jimmy left at my house indefinitely. the problem with that last option is it, again, is software driven with it being a USB interface. i tried testing out its features, but i apparently will need to buy plugins to make it work effectively. while i may very well end up deciding to invest in 1s and 0s, i'd prefer dialing up sound options outside the DAW. hell, even plugging a stomp box into the signal chain would be preferable (and is totally doable), requiring a cab simulator for authenticity, tho...

anyway, so what does this space look like now for someone of modest means? i'm down with used options, too, as long as it's reliable and would at least try to avoid software.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

You could try some of those Joyo/Harley Benton Tech21 clones?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I've got their AC Tone (copy of a Sansamp), and the speaker simulation when used DI really isn't that good; it's just an EQ shape really.

I'd sooner go for something like the little Mooer preamps, I've also been eyeing up their Vox-alike:

[youtube][/youtube]
Dual channel, proper impulse responses for the cab sim which you can always turn on-and-off, teeny weeny, fit right on your pedalboard.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I don't have any experience with it, but I'd like to try a Digitech RP360XP processor. Demos on youtube sound ok, the interface seems to be very intuitive and it's cheap
[youtube][/youtube]

Edit: well, it's not that cheap. Only in comparison with other processors
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

^i like this!
Doog wrote:I've got their AC Tone (copy of a Sansamp), and the speaker simulation when used DI really isn't that good; it's just an EQ shape really.

I'd sooner go for something like the little Mooer preamps, I've also been eyeing up their Vox-alike:

[youtube][/youtube]
Dual channel, proper impulse responses for the cab sim which you can always turn on-and-off, teeny weeny, fit right on your pedalboard.
and i potentially love this.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

They do the LIVE too, which is all (?) of the preamp flavours in one unit, plus other fancy shit

And you can play with a computer-based editor to really tweak shit if you wanna, AND it has a 'Capture' thing which will model your real amp via some kind of voodoo magic.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

fuuuuuu

this is awesome, thank you so much for the detail!
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:They do the LIVE too, which is all (?) of the preamp flavours in one unit, plus other fancy shit

And you can play with a computer-based editor to really tweak shit if you wanna, AND it has a 'Capture' thing which will model your real amp via some kind of voodoo magic.
Can this go straight into a DAW? Or would I need a separate interface. I’m trying to figure out a relatively simplistic recording rig for myself, something to keep kicking around in case I want to just plug and play
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

dots wrote:fuuuuuu

this is awesome, thank you so much for the detail!
You’re welcome; happy birthday
kingkiller wrote: Can this go straight into a DAW? Or would I need a separate interface. I’m trying to figure out a relatively simplistic recording rig for myself, something to keep kicking around in case I want to just plug and play
Well, you’ll need to plug it into your computer somehow, but if you’re using a crummy internal soundcard still, it looks like the headphone/line output will work fine? But pick up a basic interface before spending any coins on outboard stuff, for sure
NickS

Post by NickS »

There's a Mooer Preamp Live on Reverb second-hand for £240 right now, I notice.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I wonder how the capture thing works. Like a budget Kemper?
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

There's a few decent videos on YT; it seems like it uses the FX loop to model your irl amp's preamp, rather than by miking a speaker cab to model the whole sound a la the Kemper.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Still cool.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I've been playing direct for the past couple of years both practicing and live with IEMs.

The best I've heard was using an Axe-fx but not far off was the Positive Grid Bias Amp software. I paid about $50 for it and am using it with a behringher um204hd which was a pretty cheap interface. Also I like to use the standalone software version and not the plugin, it's much less distracting and the latency appears to be lower.

I also had good luck using a Zoom G5n, the amp models were a little fizzy but with a bit of EQing I got some very useable direct guitar tones. The last 4 months I used one of those Joyo sansamp clones. It sucked for playing live, there is just no response and it lacks any kind of low end grunt.
STABxYOU

Post by STABxYOU »

Does that Mooer Preamp capture the entire range of a specific preamp or does it just capture a snapshot of it based on how it's setup when it's captured?