Jazz Guitar?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Ydarvi

Jazz Guitar?

Post by Ydarvi »

Hey there! I'm in the market right now for a guitar specifically for jazz http://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-jazz-guitars/ and maybe some very soft blues. The problem is, I have no idea what I want. A true archtop is probably out of my budget, so that's probably out of the question. I have seen Telecasters work for solid body jazz, but I'm unsure if that's the route I want to take. In terms of semi-hollow, I have never owned one and don't really know what I'm talking about. If you know anything or have any opinions on what I should be going for, please let me know!
Last edited by Ydarvi on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Ibanez Artcore series are affordable and quality instruments, they do many hollow and semi-hollow designs which would be great for jazz.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

worry about a good drummer and bass player first. thats the most important thing in a jazz band.

after that get any guitar with a humbucker, put .13 flat wound strings on it and you are all set.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I didn't know you played jazz, Rob?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Bacchus wrote:I didn't know you played jazz, Rob?
you seem shocked.

do you agree with my drum/bass statement ?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I don't think it's good advice.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ok then, first go buy a 4,000 gibson, get a shit drummer, and fuck a bass player who needs him. he's just gonna eat your food and take 1/3 of your purse
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

robroe wrote:ok then, first go buy a 4,000 gibson, get a shit drummer, and fuck a bass player who needs him. he's just gonna eat your food and take 1/3 of your purse
oh like a White Stripes jazz duo!

also my advise on a jazz guitar, go to a guitar store, try different guitars and amp combos, buy the best one that sounds good to you that you can afford.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

robroe wrote:
Bacchus wrote:I didn't know you played jazz, Rob?
you seem shocked.

do you agree with my drum/bass statement ?
It's true, literally no-one is able to play jazz unless there's a good drummer and bassist in the room also, the guitar just won't make any noise at all

But yeah, go to a store and see what feels right to you, Ydarvi- even if it's not the store you'll eventually buy from. People play jazz on all kinds of guitars, technique and your amp will make a way bigger difference to the sound.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

just buy a Jazzmaster and flatwound strings lol
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

robroe wrote:ALL THESE KIDS ARE MAJOR SEVENIN’ AND HUMBUCKERIN’ AND DON’T KNOW WHAT THE JAZZ IS ALL ABOUT, Y’SEE
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

I remember this company I think called Godin that did some jazzy looking archtops and semi-hollow/hollows for a good price. 5th avenue series I think. they look tempting for anything, but probably could do jazz with a nice clean amp.

what's the amp for jazz? Roland jc-120? some kind of mellow fender tube amp?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I have lusted the fuck out of a 5th Avenue for probably as long as anything. I think I first read about them when I was about fifteen, when they first came out. I spent a silly amount of a shop owner's patience in Hastings, NZ playing the one they had there.

One of my last dream guitars.
jcyphe

Re: Jazz Guitar?

Post by jcyphe »

Ydarvi wrote: I have seen Telecasters work for solid body jazz, but I'm unsure if that's the route I want to take.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Josh wrote:I remember this company I think called Godin that did some jazzy looking archtops and semi-hollow/hollows for a good price. 5th avenue series I think. they look tempting for anything, but probably could do jazz with a nice clean amp.

what's the amp for jazz? Roland jc-120? some kind of mellow fender tube amp?
Bacchus wrote:I have lusted the fuck out of a 5th Avenue for probably as long as anything. I think I first read about them when I was about fifteen, when they first came out. I spent a silly amount of a shop owner's patience in Hastings, NZ playing the one they had there.

One of my last dream guitars.
Godin make excellent guitars.
Likewise, I’ve wanted a 5th Avenue Kingpin (single pickup) for years. The basic 5th Avenue without a pickup is great, but full acoustic, the Kingpin adds enough versatility to be widely useful, but I find the Kingpin II (2 pickup) has a more muted tone, possibly due to construction.
The Montreal is a great semi-hollow. I’ve played a few in-store, and have loved them all.
The Multiac and A-series are basically purpose built for jazz and world music scenes.

Godin’s construction is pretty top notch, great quality guitars. Their standard electric designs are, to me, a bit boring/uninspiring, but they pay feel, play, and sound excellent...
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

Rob always sounds dumb and mean, but he is correct insofar as skill and band members matter waaaaaay more than the type of guitar-- a telecaster (ideally with neck position humbucker) is objectively the most versatile guitar and therefor the only guitar any new player should ever consider
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
George

Post by George »

No one's gonna want to play with you if you bowl in with some whack twangy solid body thing.

Yeah blah blah blah tone is in the fingers but jazz guitars look cool, sound a certain way and you'll play a certain way on them.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

A strong band won't play with you if you're just learning I suppose. It seems to me there's a lot of tedious elbow grease with jazz when you spend your time alone learning theory, practicing with metronome as well as listening to jazz. No guitar will make me a jazz guitarist for sure, though some could inspire me to dive into properly learning jazz
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

These hypothetical jazz guys sound like pricks.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

You don't need a particular guitar to play jazz on. You may need an archtop guitar if you're playing in some kind of vintage tribute band, but generally most guys these days play whatever. I generally play either a strat or a tele deluxe most of the time. I do have an Ibanez AF55 which I bought for less than $200 which I use for big band, bebop or more traditional gigs but generally I just play a solid body. I used to play a crazy expensive custom built archtop, but honestly aside from looking pretty and sounding great for a couple of different sounds, I'm way happier playing solid bodies for most things.

Here's video evidence:
[youtube][/youtube]