RIP Swinger Project (now with more Duo-Sonic!)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Post by NickS »

Coming along... my reaction to the Swinger is that the body looks quite thick compared to mine. Also, is the body original size or scaled to suit the 24" scale?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

It’s “original� sized, I assume the body thickness on the proper Swingers is 1 1/2 inches (38mm). They always look thicker before the edges have been radiused. I’m having a little difficulty finding a 7/16inch (11.1125mm) radius bit�except StewMac who want $14,000 for theirs.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Found the bit on eBay, Yonico. My brother (furniture maker) says they’re actually a good value.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
cooter

Post by cooter »

How's your neck fit the StewMac template? I had to add quite a bit of masking tape to the inside of mine before I routed to get a snug fit.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Have you been building anything recently, Cooter?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

cooter wrote:
How's your neck fit the StewMac template? I had to add quite a bit of masking tape to the inside of mine before I routed to get a snug fit.
I’m planning on making my own neck(s) so hadn’t seen it as a possible issue. I’m might pull the Mustang neck off the Sonic Kitten to compare before I route.
► Show Spoiler
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

plopswagon wrote:I realized this knot will be an issue
knot a problem
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
plopswagon wrote:I realized this knot will be an issue
knot a problem
A little knotzi
► Show Spoiler
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Looking really sweet Paul!
Excited to see these finished.
cooter

Post by cooter »

plopswagon wrote:
cooter wrote:
I’m planning on making my own neck(s) so hadn’t seen it as a possible issue. I’m might pull the Mustang neck off the Sonic Kitten to compare before I route.
Nice! Looking forward to your updates. You going with a 24" scale or 22.5"? I have templates for both if you need a copy.
sunshiner wrote:Have you been building anything recently, Cooter?
No time lately. I have a bunch started from way back but no time to work on them. I'm living vicariously thru plops right now.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

That's what Oprah's doing too
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

cooter wrote:Nice! Looking forward to your updates. You going with a 24" scale or 22.5"? I have templates for both if you need a copy.
24� and two pickups, do you have the Swinger headstock template? Also do you do a single action or double action truss rod? I’m trying to find the truss rod channel curve and length for a 24� neck.
sunshiner wrote:That's what Oprah's doing too
All the cool kids are!
► Show Spoiler
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Hurb wrote:Looking really sweet Paul!
Excited to see these finished.
Speaking of, the Swinger will be Daphne blue with pearloid (mother of toilet seat) guard but I’m not sure about the duo. I really want a classic white with tortoiseshell guard but then I have to find all the appropriate switches and pickup covers and age that shit because that’s how they should look.

Another option would to go 70’s style white with black guard (I’d mock it up in the dressing room but...)

Or, I told my wife about the competition orange concept and she thought that was pretty bad ass
► Show Spoiler
cooter

Post by cooter »

plopswagon wrote:
cooter wrote:Nice! Looking forward to your updates. You going with a 24" scale or 22.5"? I have templates for both if you need a copy.
24� and two pickups, do you have the Swinger headstock template? Also do you do a single action or double action truss rod? I’m trying to find the truss rod channel curve and length for a 24� neck.
sunshiner wrote:That's what Oprah's doing too
All the cool kids are!
I think I do have a Swinger headstock template. I'll look this weekend. I have a couple truss rods for 25.5' scale necks but nothing that'll work for a 24" scale necks.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Sunday is my guitar work day. 10 minutes into cutting out neck templates on my bandsaw and the blade busted, possibly taking the drive belt with it.

Sigh.
► Show Spoiler
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote:Sunday is my guitar work day. 10 minutes into cutting out neck templates on my bandsaw and the blade busted, possibly taking the drive belt with it.

Sigh.
:(
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Totally overthinking the single action truss rod channel on this thing.
► Show Spoiler
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

plopswagon wrote:Sunday is my guitar work day. 10 minutes into cutting out neck templates on my bandsaw and the blade busted, possibly taking the drive belt with it.

Sigh.
Finally got time to deal with this today. Fixed and I’ll be ready to get back on it next week.
► Show Spoiler
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote:I’ll be ready to get back on it next week.
((thumup)
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I had a minute.

The neck pocket was particularly troublesome I was using a mini-router and there’s just not enough flat surface to keep it from getting kinked up. . I see the advantage of doing the route before cutting out the body now.

Lesson learned.

► Show Spoiler