Bass vi sounds... (bass iv)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Bass vi sounds... (bass iv)

Post by dezb1 »

Had what is possibly a stupid idea: been looking at bass vi's most people say niche item you'll get bored... so: a bass vi is 30" scale a Squier bronco or a shortscale Ibanez talman bass (probably my choice if I do this) is 30", I'm after the Bass vi sound more than the actual instrument. Could I get one of these basses and a set of bass vi strings but only use the 4 highest strings as I don't really want a bass vi for the low end - then if I get sick of it use the 4 lowest strings for standard SS bass tones... opinions please?
Last edited by dezb1 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XY
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Sure, but the Bass VI strings have guitar-sized ball ends, so I dunno if that would cause issues.

Otherwise.... it's questionable how the much impact the body size, wood and wiring would affect the overall sound.

Also I don't get why you'd take the four highest strings? So you'd be tuned D-E? Why?
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

When I’m using my VI more like a baritone than a bass, I’ll often play mainly on the top four strings. So it makes sense to me.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I’d recommend getting a VI though if you can find one in budget. You can get a really wide variety of toanz from the various pick up configurations.

I was worried it might be a bit “niche� but love it. Really versatile instrument imho.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

BearBoy wrote:When I’m using my VI more like a baritone than a bass, I’ll often play mainly on the top four strings. So it makes sense to me.
It kind of makes sense. But like, tuned D-E you literally don't have any more range than a regular guitar tuned to drop D.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

You’re right but I think it’s a way punchier sound though.

I think Eric is probably right re the ballends (am in Glasgow atm so can’t take a close look at mine). I think they’re more like guitar strings. The other issue you might have is that the lower strings on the readily available sets aren’t really heavy enough for “proper� bass playing should you want to repurpose your idea at a later date. La Bellas etc are much better for that but a bit spendy. Circle K/Kalium do a wide range of different gauges for VIs at reasonable prices but the postage is a bit nuts from the US.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

BearBoy wrote:When I’m using my VI more like a baritone than a bass, I’ll often play mainly on the top four strings. So it makes sense to me.
This is kinda what I thought I'd end up doing, I was looking at the Harley Benton guitarbass but they discontinued it this week... bad timing. I don't fancy fender prices and Squier are possibly on the outer edges price wise for something that may be for occasional use.
XY
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

The classic one has three pickups and a reverb handle assembly, also the strings are closer together. While the strings closer together don't affect the sound, you'll probably play on it differently.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fakir Mustache wrote:The classic one has three pickups and a reverb handle assembly, also the strings are closer together. While the strings closer together don't affect the sound, you'll probably play on it differently.

The reverb handle is something I could live without.
XY
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

My mustang bass was strung exactly like this the entire time I owned it.

It worked great!!

I used the middle 4 strings in a VI pack.

Strung it .75-.35

Tuned it regular E

TONES^^^^^

Beastie Boy tones im going for in that clip
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Beastie Boy song I jacked that clip from

Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

BearBoy wrote:I’d recommend getting a VI though if you can find one in budget. You can get a really wide variety of toanz from the various pick up configurations.

I was worried it might be a bit “niche� but love it. Really versatile instrument imho.
Yup, totes get a VI; I love mine, and use it for a lot of different applications - don’t underestimate the power of amp EQ to shape what you want from them. They’re niche, sure, but quite flexible.

Tuning D-e on 4 strings will get you a similar sound, but, as said, string spacing, and the lack of E and A will lead to VERY different playing styles and option, especially if you want to chord.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Search for the Revelation RJT6, I've seen them sometimes a bit lower than £250. It's basically (no pun intended) a Bass VI. Decent company, too.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

What the fuck are you talking about, des?
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

It sounds to me a little like that to allay your concerns that a Bass VI is something of a niche instrument, you're going to build an even more niche instrument.

I loved my VI, you never have to plumb the reverb handle in (and unlike a lot of systems, without the handle in, you'd never know it was there), and there's a lot you can do with it: you can take a break from it being E-E and tune it up like a baritone (A-A, B-B) with no worries at all, and just a change of strings.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

robroe wrote:Beastie Boy song I jacked that clip from

I thought you hated Pink Floyd
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Ohh God they didnt Jack it from pink floyd did they? Fuuuu
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

bro check the video at 30 seconds in, it literally says pink floyd on the back of their speaker cabinets, also the video is an homage to pink floyd live at pompeii lmao
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Fucking hell rob.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

HOW MUCH MONEY DO THE BEASTIES HAVE TO GIVE THE FLOYD!?!?!?!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.