Bass vi sounds... (bass iv)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

paul_

Post by paul_ »

Are you sure you haven't simply misheard people calling it a Nitzsche instrument?

[youtube][/youtube]

A VI will seem like more a niche instrument if you don't play a lot of bass, since it's a bass. Guitarists tend to give these things a weird wrap, because they bought one thinking it would be more like playing a guitar than it ends up being. Contemporary trained bass guitarists don't want to adapt to one for the aforementioned physical dimension reasons, and most guitar players don't want to take over as a group's bassist merely for retro toaner-boaner shits & giggles... so it gets more play in "experimental" lineups or retro-fabulous garage projects and is therefore seen as a niche/gimmick by many. I don't think it's any small secret that the '70s weren't kind to their overall reputation/prevalence anyway (literally EVERYONE used to make a VI at one point in the early/mid-60s, Danelectro, Teisco, Guyatone, Gibson... and Gretsch and Schecter do them nowadays).
There's a surprising amount of leway you have on one as the bassist, though. A good set of LaBella VI flats will get you that classic "tic-tac" bass sound with a pick that people used to use Dano and Fender VIs for in the '60s (think Carol Kaye, solo career Jet Harris, Barney Kessel on "Spock's Theme", or see that Nitzsche vid), and with the trem you can almost get a sort of sliding chord cluster sound which few instruments outside of fretless or tremolo-equipped basses are capable of otherwise coming close to. Flatpicked roundwounds, meanwhile, will be more typically Fendabass-ish... so they can really cover a lot of ground across different eras and genres.

You wouldn't need the VI string sets to do what you want, you could just use extra light gauge bass strings as the spacing will be so much different to playing a VI anyway that you won't really lose anything. Intonation will likely be a problem as well, with the short travel of the Talman bridge and the 2-saddle configuation of the Bronco, and with both of those instruments having the bridge situated further back than a VI would. There's only so much gaugeplay you can do with guitars or basses before their bridges aren't in the right spot. And then there's the tuning machines.
Fakir Mustache wrote:The classic one has three pickups and a reverb handle assembly, also the strings are closer together. While the strings closer together don't affect the sound, you'll probably play on it differently.
+1, always weirds me out when I see early Jack Bruce footage and he's getting it done on a Bass VI playing fingerstyle. I tried that on the Fender Pawn VI in a shop and it felt... weird. He had just switched from upright as well.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Cheers for all the input chaps, looks like I want a vi of some sort. I really should shift my arse into town and play one but I can't be arsed with guitar shops these days... All the good ones are gone.
XY
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Plus, the new Squier Bass VI's look amazing. They are a fucking classy instrument. Get one. Play around with string gauges to get what you want. I'm considering selling my Gretsch bari bass and getting one myself.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

The new Squiers require some set up work, but sound great. A luthier friend has complained that the truss rods aren’t up to snuff after a little bit though.

Playing VI finger style (traditional bass style, rather than say classical guitar style) is a little tough, but entirely doable with some practice. I play a handful of my bands’ songs fingerstyle these days, it’s initially awkward, but becomes normal... pick is still easier though.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Well after no research what so ever I'm getting one of these delivered later today bass vi string through body as I don't like the idea of messing with a trem

And the Squier was out of my price range.
XY
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

What is it Dez? A Harley Benton?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Oooh. What is it?

Is it 30� scale?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Gear 4 music homebrew (Subzero rogue vi baritone), 30" neck, alder body, D'addario strings. I had some credit with them ended up costing me £149... hopefully it's good no reviews on the youtube but their other guitars get decent reviews.

Also 'Subzero'... gotta be cool right?
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Well it's arrived looks the part feels nice. I won't get a chance to tune, play, test it until I've took our youngest to nursery.

Actual colour is somewhere between these two pics
XY
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Awesome, looking forward to your impressions
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Reminds me of that Jazzblaster that Cowbell Reece et. al had: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... er#1335982
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

XY
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Sounding like my Schecter a fair bit.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Ankhanu wrote:Sounding like my Schecter a fair bit.
Made me think of the hellcat when I first seen it. Is yours is the ultra cure? Love the silverburst on those.

Still need to set it up the intonation is a bit out so that's my next job
XY
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I have an Ultra VI, silverburst, and a 2012 Hellcat VI (with Duncan SJAG1s), in 3ts. Pre-2012 I had one of the minihumbucker Hellcats (which I sold for the updated version) - this sounds closest to those.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote:Reminds me of that Jazzblaster that Cowbell Reece et. al had: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... er#1335982
A quare beast.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Ankhanu wrote:I have an Ultra VI, silverburst, and a 2012 Hellcat VI (with Duncan SJAG1s), in 3ts. Pre-2012 I had one of the minihumbucker Hellcats (which I sold for the updated version) - this sounds closest to those.
Bit of an aficionado with that collection, are these your main instruments?
XY
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Nice one. Does look like a scuffed Schecter copy.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

dezb1 wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:I have an Ultra VI, silverburst, and a 2012 Hellcat VI (with Duncan SJAG1s), in 3ts. Pre-2012 I had one of the minihumbucker Hellcats (which I sold for the updated version) - this sounds closest to those.
They are, yeah.
I occasionally pull out my Jazz Bass, or one of my guitars, but most stuff the past several years has been VI.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Ankhanu wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
They are, yeah.
I occasionally pull out my Jazz Bass, or one of my guitars, but most stuff the past several years has been VI.
Cool, got any links to music you've made it like to hear what kinda noise you make. Was watching Aen's ultra cure vi demos on youtube earlier.
XY