fender prosonic 2x10 combo (bro deal content)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

fender prosonic 2x10 combo (bro deal content)

Post by dots »

so mickie recently scored a sick deal on a fender prosonic combo (QA sticker dates it to november of 99), and he sold it to me for anywhere between 20 - 40% below market yesterday. i had a chance to put it through the paces briefly yesterday, so i'll post photos in the next couple of days. i can say this to start off, tho, that if i didn't already have the vox, i'd just rock this instead. it is a full class A amp (and AB, and SS) and can be just as chimey, crisp, and warm as my ac30. being the gear snob/hoarder i am, tho, i'll prolly hang onto both. the vox has the built-in trem, tho, and the built-in reverb on the prosonic is prolly something i won't use very often (not a verb live guy).

tl;dr version: got a bro deal amp from mickie, pics to come!
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

That amp is a true sleeper. It can do almost everything, and it's a shame most people don't know about it. I guess the traditionalists probably didn't like it because it was new, and the high gain players probably didn't know it could hang because it looked like a normal Fender amp.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

^absolutely true! I don't think these things ever got the recognition for all the features that the over-engineering by Zinky really produced. Like, you can blow a tube and still function with livable tone loss in solid state mode. That's insane!

Anyway, here are the photos. The amp is super clean, so I imagine whoever has owned it over the last 20 years didn't gig with it consistently.
â–º Show Spoiler
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

That's in great shape, and look at all the tube goodness.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Looks awesome. Let me know when you melt the connection that switches channels, and it starts popping like crazy like my old cougar 1000 did.
dots wrote:incesticide
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

was the cougar a fender rock pro? my brother and i were talking about that amp yesterday, and it was a great deal for everything you got with it... his was the head and 4x12, but i think yours was a combo, no? i always loved the tone on that amp (tube pre actually helped it a lot), and the prosonic was like the full monty of that sonic space, imho.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

NICE. Glad it worked out.
Backstory is I have a guitar deal with Eastman guitars so I get their guitars pretty cheap. Guy hit me up offering to trade his prosonic for one of my lesser expensive (but still great) eastmans. I took him up on it because I knew how great tha amps were BUT I pretty much never use an amp anymore and I have a blackstar tube 5 watt and 1x12 cab (or DI) at home if I need to do some recording. So after using it on 1 gig and messing around with it I knew I was gonna sell it so I though of DOTS and him having one and having to sell it years ago. We both became aware of these amps from a mutual friend we both recorded with.

So, I took his money. Less than I would have taken form someone else by far, but I still did ok with it and got to help out a friend. Always a worthwhile trade off. and we got to meet up, grab a burger and beer, and chat for a bit for the first time in awhile.

Win/Win.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yep, super fun times had by all, and this amp may become part of my gigging rig at some point. thanks, mickie!
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

:)
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:was the cougar a fender rock pro? my brother and i were talking about that amp yesterday, and it was a great deal for everything you got with it... his was the head and 4x12, but i think yours was a combo, no? i always loved the tone on that amp (tube pre actually helped it a lot), and the prosonic was like the full monty of that sonic space, imho.
Fender Performer 1000 combo with an extra 12 cab under it

I think the rock pro has the same guts but had an updated faceplate that had a more industrial look. Mine was a traditional looking blackface amp. You should be able to dial in that sound with your new amp. But it will start popping like jiffy pop after a while
dots wrote:incesticide